Try these steps first
Restart your remote
If your remote still isn't working as expected, try restarting your remote.
- Press and hold the TV/Control Center button and the Volume Down button at the same time. Hold the buttons down for about 5 seconds, or until the status light on your Apple TV turns off and on again.
- Release the buttons. Then wait 5 to 10 seconds for a Connection Lost notification to appear on your TV screen.
- Wait while your remote restarts. When the Connected notification appears, you can use your remote.
Pair your remote
If your remote still isn't working as expected, try pairing your remote to your Apple TV again.
- Point your remote at your Apple TV. Make sure that the remote is about three inches from the Apple TV.
- Press and hold Back (or Menu) and Volume Up for five seconds.
- If asked, place your remote on top of Apple TV to complete pairing.
If you can't pair your remote, make sure that your Apple TV is updated to the latest version of tvOS. You can use the Apple TV Remote on your iPhone or iPad to navigate your Apple TV to check which version of tvOS you have.
If you still need help, contact Apple Support.