Use AirPods with your Mac
If you're using AirPods (2nd generation), make sure that your Mac has macOS 10.14.4 or later.
If you set up your AirPods with your iPhone and your Mac is signed in to iCloud with the same Apple ID, your AirPods might be ready to use with your Mac. Place your AirPods in your ears and click either the Bluetooth menu or the volume control in the menu bar on your Mac.1 Then choose AirPods from the list.
If you don't see your AirPods in the or menu,2 pair your AirPods with your Mac:
- On your Mac, choose System Preferences from the Apple menu , then click Bluetooth .
- Make sure that Bluetooth is on.
- Put both AirPods in the charging case and open the lid.
- Press and hold the setup button on the back of the case until the status light flashes white.
- Select your AirPods in the Devices list, then click Connect.
If sound still plays from your Mac speakers, click either the Bluetooth menu or the volume control in the menu bar and make sure that your AirPods are selected as the output device.1
Use AirPods with a non-Apple device
You can use AirPods as a Bluetooth headset with a non-Apple device. You can't use Siri, but you can listen and talk. To set up your AirPods with an Android phone or other non-Apple device,3 follow these steps:
- On your non-Apple device, go to the settings for Bluetooth and make sure that Bluetooth is on.4 If you have an Android device, go to Settings > Connections > Bluetooth.
- With your AirPods in the charging case, open the lid.
- Press and hold the setup button on the back of the case until you see the status light flash white.
- When your AirPods appear in the list of Bluetooth devices, select them.
- If you don't see the volume control in the menu bar, learn how to add it.
- Your AirPods (2nd generation) can connect automatically with your Mac that uses macOS 10.14.4 or later. Your AirPods (1st generation) can connect automatically with your Mac that uses macOS Sierra or later.
- The features of your AirPods might be limited, depending on the Bluetooth device that they're connected to.
- If you can't find the Bluetooth settings for your device, check the user guide.