What's a mailbox?
A mailbox is a folder that you can use to sort your emails in. In the Mail app, you can use standard mailboxes—like Inbox, Sent, Drafts, and Trash—or you can create custom mailboxes. If you want the Mail app to sort your emails automatically, you can also use Smart Mailboxes.
To find, create, and manage mailboxes for your email account, open Mail and go to the Mailboxes list. If you're in the Inbox, tap in the upper-left corner to see your Mailboxes list.
Sort emails automatically with Smart Mailboxes
A Smart Mailbox gathers all emails that meet certain criteria, like unread emails or emails from VIPs, so you can find them in one place. The Mail app automatically sets up Smart Mailboxes for you to use.
To show or hide Smart Mailboxes, tap Edit in the upper-right corner of the Mailboxes list. Then tap the Smart Mailboxes that you want to see and tap Done.
Tap a Smart Mailbox, like Today, to see emails that meet that criteria.
Create custom mailboxes
Create custom mailboxes to sort your emails into categories like work, family, and more. Here’s how:
- In the Mailboxes list, tap Edit in the upper-right corner, then tap New Mailbox.
- Give your mailbox a name. If you have more than one email account set up on your device, tap Mailbox Location and choose the account where you want to create a mailbox.
- Tap Save, then tap Done.
You can find your new mailbox in the Mailboxes list under the account where you created it. You can also create a shortcut for a custom mailbox so you can find it at the top of the Mailboxes list.
Move emails to a mailbox
After you create a custom mailbox, you can move emails to it. Here's how:
Move an email
Swipe left over an email in the Inbox and tap More. Tap Move Message, then choose a mailbox to move the email to.
Move multiple emails
Tap Edit in the upper-right corner of the Inbox. Tap the emails, tap Move, then choose a mailbox to move the email to.
Use 3D Touch
Press deeply*on an email in the Inbox, then swipe up and tap Move Message. Then choose a mailbox to move the email to.
*3D Touch is available on iPhone 6s and later.
Manage your mailboxes
Quickly access mailboxes by creating shortcuts for them, reorder mailboxes, and delete the mailboxes you don't want.
Add a shortcut for custom mailboxes
You can create a shortcut for mailboxes you create so you can easily find them at the top of the Mailboxes list.
- Tap Edit in the upper-right corner of the Mailboxes list.
- Scroll down and tap Add Mailbox.
- Tap the mailbox that you want to create a shortcut for. If you have multiple accounts set up, tap the account that has the mailbox, then tap the mailbox.
- Tap Done.
Reorder mailboxes in your Mailboxes list
- Tap Edit in the upper-right corner of your Mailboxes list.
- Touch and hold next to the mailbox and drag it up or down the list.
- Tap Done.
Delete a custom mailbox
When you delete a custom mailbox, it permanently deletes all of the emails inside of the mailbox and from your account. Before you delete a mailbox, you can move the emails to another mailbox.
To delete a mailbox:
- Go to your Mailboxes list and tap Edit in the upper-right corner.
- Tap the mailbox you want to delete.
- Tap Delete Mailbox.
- Tap Delete, then tap Done.
You can only delete custom mailboxes.
Do more with your mail
- Set up your email account on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
- Use email threads, set up filters, and more in the Mail app on your iOS device.
- Use Markup in your emails to add drawings, text, your signature, and more to photos and PDFs.
- Get help if you can't send or receive emails in the Mail app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.