Open from the Lock screen
You can quickly view your recent notifications from the Lock screen by picking up your iPhone* or waking your iPad. You can also do these things from the Lock Screen:
- Tap a single notification or a group of notifications to view all of them for that app.
- Swipe left over notifications to manage, view, or clear the notifications.
- Manage alerts for specific apps.
To preview your notifications on the Lock screen without unlocking your device, go to Settings > Notifications > Show Previews, and select Always.
* Raise to Wake is available on iPhone 6s or later.
Open from Notification Center
The Notification Center shows your notifications history—allowing you to scroll back and see what you've missed. There are two ways to see your alerts from the Notification Center:
- From the Lock screen, swipe up from the middle of the screen.
- From any other screen, swipe down from the center of the top of your screen.
To clear your notification history: Deeply press and tap Clear All Notifications. Or tap and tap Clear.
To manage your notifications from the Lock screen or Notification Center:
- Swipe left over an alert or group of alerts.
- Tap Manage, then select from these options:
- Deliver Quietly: These notifications appear in the Notification Center, but don't show up on the Lock screen, play sounds, or show a banner or badge icon.
- Turn Off: This turns off all notifications for a specific app. To turn this back on, go to Settings > Notifications, select the app, and tap Allow Notifications.
You can also tap Settings to change your alert styles or alert settings for a specific app.
Change alert styles
To add or change an alert style for a notification:
- Go to Settings > Notifications.
- Select an app under Notification Style.
- Choose a type of alert and banner style.
You can also turn sounds and badges on or off.
Change group notification settings
You can use group notifications or keep them separate.
- Go to Settings > Notifications.
- Select an app and tap Notification Grouping.
- Select one of these options:
- Automatic: Notifications from each app will appear in groups based on app alerts.
- By App: All notifications from each app will be grouped into single expandable alerts.
- Off: Notifications appear in the order they’re received, without grouping.
From here you can also choose how to show notification previews for specific apps. For example, you can have notification previews show up all the time or never, even when your device is locked.
Set up location-based alerts
Some apps use your location to send you relevant alerts based on where you are. For example, you might get a reminder to call someone when you get to a specific place or when you leave for your next location.
If you don't want these type of alerts, you can turn them off. Go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services, then tap an app to turn alerts on or off based on your location. Learn more about Location Services.
If you don't see notifications for a specific app
To get notifications, connect to a Wi-Fi or cellular network. If you still don't get notifications for a specific app, try these steps:
- Make sure that the app supports notifications. Go to Settings > Notifications, select the app, and make sure that Allow Notifications is on.
- If you have notifications turned on for an app but you're not receiving alerts, you might not have Banners selected. Go to Settings > Notifications, select the app, then select Banners.
- Make sure that you’re signed in to your Apple ID.
- Make sure that Do Not Disturb is off.
- If you’ve recently installed an app or restored from a backup, open the app to start getting notifications.