In macOS Big Sur or later, Optimized Battery Charging is designed to improve the lifespan of your battery and reduce the time your Mac spends fully charged. When the feature is enabled, your Mac will delay charging past 80% in certain situations. Your Mac learns your charging routine and aims to ensure that your Mac is fully charged when unplugged.
If you need to have your Mac fully charged sooner, click the battery icon in the menu bar, then choose Charge to Full Now.
Check the charge status
When Optimized Battery Charging is active, the battery status menu displays when your Mac will be fully charged or whether charging is on hold. If you keep your notebook connected to power most of the time, you might see the message "Charging On Hold (Rarely Used On Battery)" when charging is paused.
Pause or turn off Optimized Battery Charging
You can temporarily pause or turn off Optimized Battery Charging.
Pause or turn off Optimized Battery Charging in macOS Ventura
- Choose Apple menu > System Settings.
- Click Battery in the sidebar.
- Click the Show Detail button next to Battery Health.
- Turn off “Optimized battery charging,” then click Turn Off or Turn Off Until Tomorrow.
- Click Done.
Pause or turn off Optimized Battery Charging in macOS Monterey or earlier
- Choose Apple menu > System Preferences.
- Click Battery, then select Battery in the sidebar.
- Deselect “Optimized battery charging,” then click Turn Off or Turn Off Until Tomorrow.