Check the camera indicator light
If the camera indicator light next to the camera flashes green on your Mac notebook, contact Apple.
Update your software
Check Screen Time settings
If your Mac is using macOS Catalina and you use Screen Time, make sure your camera is turned on and apps that use the camera have time available.
- Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Screen Time.
- Click Content & Privacy in the sidebar, then click Apps.
- Make sure the box for Camera is ticked.
- Click App Limits in the sidebar. If you need to use your camera with an app in the list, make sure the box for Limits is unticked.
Give apps permission
If your Mac is using macOS Mojave or later, choose which apps can use your built-in camera:
- Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Security & Privacy.
- Click the Privacy tab, then click Camera in the sidebar.
- Tick the box next to the apps that you want to use your camera in. You may be prompted to quit and reopen an app before it can use your camera.
Try another app
Try to use your camera in another app. For example, if you can't use your camera in FaceTime, open Photo Booth.
Reset the SMC
If you can't connect to FaceTime, find out what to do if FaceTime isn't working on your Mac.