Before you begin
- Make sure your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch has the latest version of iOS or iPadOS.
- To use the latest features of Notes, make sure you set up Notes with iCloud or have your notes saved on your device. To set up Notes with iCloud, go to Settings > Notes > Default Account, then select iCloud. To set up Notes on your device only, go to Settings > Notes, then select "On My [device]" Account. Many features won't work with other email providers.
How to create a to-do list
- Open the Notes app.
- Tap the Compose button to create a new note.
- Enter a title and tap Return.
- Tap the Tick button to start the list. Each time you tap Return, a new item is added to the list.
- Tap the empty circle to mark an item as complete.
To create a list in an existing note, place the cursor where you want to start. Then tap the Tick button and create your list.
With iOS 13 and iPadOS, here are some ways to organise your lists:
- Reorder items with drag and drop.
- Swipe to indent items.
- Move ticked items to the bottom automatically.
- Tick or untick all items to start again.
Find out more about formatting your notes to add titles, headings and more.
How to share a list
- Opens the Notes app.
- Go to the note with the list, then tap the More button .
- Tap Share Note and choose how you want to share.
Find out more about sharing your notes.
Do more with Notes
Find out more about Notes on your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.