Before you start driving
Here are a few ways you can listen to audio in your car:
- Set up CarPlay in a compatible vehicle.*
- If your car has Bluetooth, you can pair your iPhone to your car.
- If your car has a USB port, you can use a Lightning cable to connect your iPhone to your vehicle.
- If you have an Android device and subscribe to Apple Music, connect your Android device to your car to play audio using Android Auto.
- If Apple Music is built into your vehicle, you can listen to music without pairing your phone. Just open Apple Music from your car's display panel and follow the on-screen instructions to sign in to your Apple ID that you use with Apple Music. Then enter the verification code you receive on your phone to complete setup.
Learn what to do if your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch can't connect to your car.
*Even if your vehicle is compatible with CarPlay, not all countries or regions have CarPlay available.
After you’ve set up CarPlay, you can play content from the Music app, Podcasts app and Audiobooks app while driving. Some third-party audio apps are also available in CarPlay.
To control what’s currently playing, use Now Playing.
Play music from your Library. If you have an Apple Music subscription, you can also stream music from For You, Browse and Radio. If you don't have an Apple Music subscription, you can still listen to some news and talk stations.
Play the latest episodes from your shows in Listen Now, or choose from the episodes in your Library. You can also stream popular podcast episodes from Browse.
You can stream audiobooks from your mobile network-enabled iOS device* or play audiobooks that are downloaded to your iPhone.
*Data rates may apply.
You can ask Siri to stop, start or change the audio that you listen to while driving.
- To activate Siri while connected to CarPlay or Siri Eyes Free, press and hold the Voice Control button on your steering wheel until you hear Siri.
- If your car has a touch screen, you can also touch and hold the Home button in CarPlay.
- If your car doesn’t support CarPlay or Siri Eyes Free and your iPhone is in a mount, just say “Hey Siri”.
Learn how to use Siri to play music or podcasts.
Customise your settings for driving
Use your iPhone to add, remove or rearrange the apps you see in CarPlay. On your iPhone, go to Settings > General > CarPlay, choose your car, then drag the apps to the location you want.
If you’re not using CarPlay, you can activate Do Not Disturb while driving to filter out most notifications, but you can still use Siri to control your music, podcasts and audiobooks.
If you don't want certain apps to use mobile data while you drive, you can turn off the app’s access to mobile data in Settings > Cellular.
When you download content over Wi-Fi, you don't use mobile data when you play it. To download, tap next to a song, album, podcast episode or audiobook. Learn how to download previous purchases again.
Learn more about listening to audio with apps
- Use the Music app on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.
- Use the Podcasts app on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.
- Get audiobooks in the Books app on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.
- If you signed in to Apple Music on your car’s display panel, you can sign out there. Or you can open the Music app on another device, go to For You, tap your profile picture at the top, then scroll down to your devices and remove your car to sign out.