Make sure you can add a transit card
Check Apple Pay on the System Status page. If there's an issue, try again after it's resolved. If there isn't an issue, make sure you're using iPhone 6s or later, or Apple Watch Series 3 or later, with the latest version of iOS or watchOS.* You can check with your public transport agency to see which devices are compatible with your transit card. Also make sure you've set up Face ID, Touch ID or a passcode on your device.
*Depending on your location, you may be able to use an Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple Watch Series 2.
Try adding a transit card
After each step, see if you can add your transit card to Apple Pay:**
- Check that the region on your device is set to China mainland.
- On your iPhone, open the Settings app, tap General, tap Language & Region, then scroll to Region.
- For your Apple Watch, open the Watch app on your iPhone. Then, go to the My Watch tab, tap General, tap Language & Region and check your Region.
- Update to the latest iOS version or the latest watchOS version.
- Make sure you have an Internet connection.
- Make sure you are signed in to iCloud with your Apple ID.
- Restart your iPhone or Apple Watch.
Transit cards in the Wallet app can't be transferred to a different Apple ID.
Try creating a transit card in Wallet
To create a new transit card in Wallet, make sure you're using a China UnionPay credit or debit card that you've added to Wallet
If you see a tick and Done, but you can't see your transit card in Wallet:
- Tap the add button in Wallet.
- Tap Continue.
- Tap [city name] Transit Card.
- Tap the transit card that shows the date when you attempted to purchase the card.
- Tap Next.
If you still can't see your transit card in Wallet, contact your card issuer for assistance and provide the Transaction ID.
Try to transfer the balance of your physical Shanghai transit card
To transfer the balance of your physical transit card to Wallet:
- Make sure you're using an iPhone 7 or later and Apple Watch Series 1 or later. For iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, or later, follow the steps for creating a card in Wallet.
- Make sure that you have more than 20 RMB on your Shanghai Transit card.
Then make sure your card is resting on a flat non-metallic surface. Rest the top of your iPhone on the middle of the transit card. Leave it on the card without moving it until you see 'Card Added'. This process could take a few minutes to complete. It may also help to hold your transit card and iPhone in your hand.
**Check with your card issuer for information about transit cards that you can add to Apple Pay.
Remove all cards from your device
If you need to bring in your device for a service, or you're trading or giving away your old device, you can remove all of the cards from that device so that it can't be used with Apple Pay to make purchases.
For iPhone and Apple Watch
When your iPhone is connected to the Internet:
- Open the Settings app.
- Tap [your name].
- Tap this [device] (or choose your watch).
- Tap Remove All Cards.
If you've lost your device or it has been stolen, or if it's unresponsive, you can remove all cards from the Devices section of your Apple ID account page. If you choose Remove All Cards, all of your cards will be removed from your device.