How to use Siri
If you have an Apple Music subscription, you can ask Siri to play anything from the Apple Music catalogue and your library, and access features such as finding songs by lyrics and adding music to your library.
If you don't have an Apple Music membership, you can ask Siri to play music from your music library, including your iTunes purchases.
On iOS and watchOS, you can also use Siri to play music from third-party apps that support SiriKit.
Find and play music
Already know what you want to listen to? Just ask Siri to play it. Or ask Siri to find a song by its lyrics. Say “Hey Siri”, then say something like:
- "Play the latest album by Tame Impala"
- "Play Lover by Taylor Swift"
- "Play my workout playlist"
- "Play the song that goes 'I travel the world and the seven seas'"
Find music by charts, popularity or genre
Siri can help you discover new and popular music from any genre. And play hits from any decade. Say "Hey Siri", then say something like:
- "Play Today's hits"
- "Play the top 10 songs in the world"
- "Play some 90s alternative music"
- "Play some popular hip-hop songs"
Tell Siri what you like to listen to
Siri can play music that you'll like based on your listening history. And you can help Siri learn what music you like. Say "Hey Siri", then say something like:
- "Play some music that I like"
- "I like this song"
- "I don't like this song"
- "Play more songs like this"
Add music to your Library or a playlist
Ask Siri to add a song that's playing, or the album that it’s on, to your Library or a custom playlist. Just say "Hey Siri", then you can say things like:
- "Add this song to my Library"
- "Add this album to my Library"
- "Add this song to my workout playlist"
Listen to the radio
Tune in to your favourite radio station. Listen to live radio on Apple Music. Or create a custom station from the music you love. Say "Hey Siri", then say something like:
- "Play Capital UK"
- "Play BBC Radio 4"
- "Play Apple Music 1"
- "Play the latest episode of Elton John's Rocket Hour"
- "Create a radio station for Daniel Caesar"
Control what’s playing
Whether you want to skip a song or hear a different version of it, Siri can do it for you. Just say "Hey Siri", then you can say things like:
- "Skip this song"
- "Turn on repeat"
- "Shuffle this album"
- "Turn up the volume"
- "Play a different version of this song"
Learn about what's playing
Siri can tell you the name of the song that's playing, who sings it and more. Just say "Hey Siri", then you can say things like:
- "What song is this?"
- "What year did this song come out?"
- "Who sings this?"
- "How many songs are on this album?"
Listen to podcasts
With Siri, you can continue listening to your favourite podcasts, subscribe to new shows and control playback.
On iOS and watchOS, you can also use Siri to play podcasts from third-party apps that support SiriKit.
Play and subscribe to podcasts
Play your favourite podcast, listen to a new podcast and subscribe to podcasts. Say "Hey Siri", then say something like:
- "Play Oprah's Supersoul Conversations"
- "Play the latest episode of Lore podcast"
- "What podcast is this?"
- "Subscribe to this show"
Ask Siri to control playback of a podcast you're listening to. Just say "Hey Siri", then you can say things like:
- "Jump back 30 seconds"
- "Play it twice as fast"
- "Skip ahead 10 minutes"
Play and control audio throughout your home
With AirPlay and Siri, you can ask Siri to play music in specific rooms in your house or more than one room at the same time. And you can control what's playing throughout your home with just your voice.
To get started, just set up your AirPlay 2-compatible speakers in the Home app.
Play it where you want to hear it
Ask Siri to play music in one room and stream a podcast to another. Or to play the same audio everywhere in your home. Just say “Hey Siri”, then say something like:
- "Play Tame Impala in the kitchen"
- "Play this everywhere"
- "Play this podcast in the bedroom"
- "Play Taylor Swift in the bedroom and kitchen"
Control where it's playing
You can move audio to different rooms, control playback and ask questions about what's playing. Just say "Hey Siri", then you can say things like:
- "Stop playing music everywhere"
- "Set the volume in the Living Room to 20 per cent"
- "Move this music to the bedroom"
- "What's playing in the kitchen?"
Do more with Siri
With Siri, you can also:
- AirPlay video to your TV and control playback.
- Listen to audiobooks, as long as they're downloaded to your device. HomePod and Apple Watch can't play audiobooks, but you can AirPlay an audiobook to HomePod.
- Send and read messages, add reminders, and create notes on HomePod.
- Turn on lights, adjust the thermostat and control all of the products you use in your home.
- Listen to the news, check the weather and find places on HomePod.
Siri availability, features and commands vary by language, country and region. Find out which Siri features are supported in your country or region.