Start a FaceTime call
The person you're calling doesn't need to have the FaceTime app open, but to receive the call on their Mac, iPhone, iPad or iPod touch, they do need to be signed in to FaceTime on that device. You can then call them using any phone number or email address they have set up to use FaceTime.
Start a call from the FaceTime app
Open the FaceTime app and enter the email address or phone number of the person you want to call. If the person is in your Contacts app, you can just enter their name. Then click the Audio button or Video button to call.
You can also just ask Siri to "FaceTime John" or "FaceTime audio Lisa", for example.
Start a call from the messages app
- Start a text conversation in the Messages app or select a conversation that's already going on.
- Click Details in the top right-hand corner.
- Click the video button or audio button to open the FaceTime app and start the call.
Answer a FaceTime call
From the notification that appears on your Mac, click Accept to answer the call in the FaceTime app.
If you click the arrow next to Accept, you can choose to accept it as an audio call instead of video call. If you click the arrow next to Decline, you can choose to send a message to the caller or set a reminder to call them back later.
You can also use the Touch Bar to accept or decline a FaceTime call.
Add another person to a FaceTime call
Anyone on the call can add more people to the call, creating a Group FaceTime call.
- While the call is going on, click the sidebar button to show the sidebar.
- Click the add button .
- Enter the person's name, email address or phone number, then click Add.
- Click the Ring button next to the person's name to invite them to join the call.
Use the on-screen controls
During a call, move your pointer over the FaceTime window to show these controls.
Hide or show the sidebar.
Mute or unmute your mic.
End the call.
Turn the video from your camera on or off.
Switch to or from a full-screen FaceTime window.
Take a Live Photo of the other person.
- To stop receiving FaceTime calls on Mac, open FaceTime, then choose FaceTime > Turn FaceTime Off.
- Find out how to delete your call history in FaceTime.
- Find out what to do if FaceTime isn't working, your built-in camera isn't working or you can't sign in to FaceTime.
FaceTime is not available in all countries or regions.