First, check the Apple System Status page to make sure there are no outages or scheduled maintenances currently affecting Apple Cash.
Make sure that you can send or receive money
You must be a resident of the United States to send and receive money with Apple Pay, using Apple Cash.1 If you're under 18 years old, your family organizer must set up Apple Cash for you as part of Apple Cash Family. Then, you can send and receive money with Apple Pay.
To make sure that you have everything you need, follow these steps:
- Check for iOS or watchOS updates.
- Make sure that your device is eligible.
- Make sure that you have a Wi-Fi or cellular connection.
- Make sure that you sign in to iCloud and iMessage with the same Apple ID on any device that you want to use to send or receive money:
- iCloud: Tap Settings > [your name].
- iMessage: Tap Settings > Messages > Send & Receive.
Try to send money
After each step, see if you can send money:
- Make sure that the recipient is eligible to receive Apple Cash payments. The recipient must meet the requirements, and they need the latest versions of iOS or watchOS. If the recipient doesn't meet the requirements, you'll see a message that they aren't eligible in Messages.
- If you’re asked to choose a lower amount or try again later, you might have encountered a limit. Learn about the limits for sending and receiving money.
- If you're trying to send money directly from your debit card in Apple Pay, and you see a message that the payment couldn't be completed because it was declined by your bank, contact your bank or card issuer.
If you sent money to the wrong person, send them a message to ask them to send the money back. If the other person hasn't accepted the payment, you can cancel the payment until they accept it. If the person doesn't accept the payment within seven days, the money automatically returns to you.
If you're under 18 year old and part of Apple Cash Family
The family organizer might have locked your Apple Cash account or placed restrictions on who you can send money to in Messages.
Try to receive money
After each step, see if you can receive money:
- Make sure that you meet the requirements.
- If you see Accept in the message, tap it. If this is the first payment that you’ve received or if you turned off the setting to automatically accept payments, then you need to tap to accept the money.
- Tap Settings > Wallet & Apple Pay, then make sure that you turned on Apple Cash.
- If you’re asked to request a lower amount or try again later, you might have encountered a limit. Learn about the limits for sending and receiving money.
If you need help with a transaction in Apple Cash
- Sending and receiving money with Apple Pay and the Apple Cash card are services provided by Green Dot Bank, Member FDIC. Learn more about the Terms and Conditions.