Here's what you need
- Apple TV 4K
- One HomePod mini* or HomePod. You can also use a stereo pair with two of the same type of HomePod speaker. Other AirPlay 2-compatible speakers are not supported with home cinema audio.
* HomePod mini doesn't support Dolby Atmos 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound.
Set up home cinema audio
- Assign your Apple TV and HomePod mini or HomePod to the same room in the Home app. If you want to use two HomePod mini or two HomePod speakers, create a stereo pair, then assign the stereo pair to the same room as your Apple TV in the Home app.
- Turn on your Apple TV. You'll be asked if you want to Use HomePod speakers as Apple TV speakers. Select Use as Apple TV Speakers to turn on home cinema audio.
If you can't see the setup screen
You can turn on home cinema audio manually with your Apple TV or your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.
- With Apple TV: From the Home Screen on Apple TV, select Settings > Video and Audio > Audio Output. Select the HomePod or stereo pair you want to use for home cinema audio.
- With iPhone, iPad or iPod touch: in the Home app, press and hold Apple TV, then scroll down and tap Default Audio Output. Select the HomePod or stereo pair you want to use for home cinema audio. Tap Back, then tap Done.