If you are using the Apple TV app for the first time
Make sure your device is compatible with the Apple TV app.
If you're using a smart TV or streaming device, you need to set up the Apple TV app first.
The Apple TV app is pre-installed on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac or Apple TV. To use all of the latest features on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac or Apple TV, update to the latest version of iOS or iPadOS, macOS or tvOS.
Browse films, TV programmes and more
On your device, open the Apple TV app and then choose a tab to find what you're looking for. Find out what to do if you can't stream or watch films or TV programmes with the Apple TV app.
Continue watching, find films and TV programmes, and add channels in the Watch Now tab
When you go to the Watch Now tab, you can continue watching from where you left off in the Up Next section. You can also add premium channels or access streaming apps in the Watch Now tab.
If you see Films, TV Programmes, Sports and Kids at the top of the screen, you can select one to find something to watch:
- In Films and TV Programmes, you can browse titles, rent films, buy films and TV programmes, and see recommendations.
- If Sports is available in your region, you can watch live coverage, browse your favourite sport or even select your favourite teams, so you never miss a game.
- In Kids, you can browse titles, rent films, buy films and TV programmes, and see recommendations based on age range and more.
Find your purchases and rentals in the Library tab
Other ways to get films and TV programmes
Subscribe to Apple TV+ to watch all-new Apple Original TV programmes and films. If you’re eligible to receive a promotional trial of Apple TV+, learn how to redeem your offer.
See how to get Apple TV+.
You can subscribe to your favourite premium channels in the Apple TV app, without downloading any apps.
Find out how to add other Apple TV channels.
You can also use your pay TV or cable provider to access programming in the Apple TV app on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch, or your Apple TV.
See how to use your TV provider on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch, or your Apple TV.
Use controls for play, pause, subtitles and more
- To find playback controls, open the Apple TV app on your device.
- Start watching something.
- Depending on your device, either tap the screen, move your mouse, tap the trackpad, swipe down on the remote or press the down button.
Adjust the Apple TV app settings
On your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch
Open the Settings app and then scroll down and tap TV.
On your Mac
Open the Apple TV app, choose TV from the menu at the top of your screen and then select Preferences.
On your Apple TV
Go to Settings, choose Apps and then select TV.
On your smart TV or streaming device
Open the Apple TV app and go to Settings.
From here, you can choose whether to use mobile data to stream films and TV programmes on applicable devices or see recommendations based on what you watch.