Apps and features that use Markup
Here are some apps you can use with Markup and steps to get started:
- Open Mail and tap the compose button to start a new email. Or reply to an existing email.
- Tap inside the body of your email, then tap the grey arrow icon or tap Return to open the format bar. You can also tap inside your email, then tap the cursor and select Insert Photo or Video or Add Attachment. You may need to tap the arrow icon to scroll through the options.
- Tap the Camera button or the Document button , then look for the photo or PDF that you want to attach and mark up.
- Tap the attachment, then tap the grey arrow icon . Tap the Markup button to add your markup. Tap the plus button to add a signature, text and more.
- Tap Done, then send your email.
- Open Messages and tap the compose button to start a new conversation. Or go to an existing conversation.
- Tap the Photos button and select a photo.
- Tap the photo in the message, then tap Markup. From here, you can add a sketch to the photo, or tap the plus button for other Markup options.
- Tap Save, then tap Done.
- Tap the Send button .
- Go to Photos and select the photo you want.
- Tap Edit, then tap the Markup button . Tap the Add button to add text, shapes and more.
- Tap Done, then tap Done again.
Draw with Markup
After you've chosen a Markup tool – such as the pen, highlighter or pencil – select a colour and start drawing. Tap the same tool again to change the colour opacity, or tap another tool to change the thickness. You can also tap the Colour button to change colour shades.
Move a drawing
After you've drawn something, you can move it around. Tap the Lasso button , trace a circle around the drawing you want to move, then drag it to where you want it.
Erase or undo a drawing
To redo a drawing, tap the eraser button and rub your finger across the area you want to erase. You can also undo any markup action by using the Undo button . If you undo a markup accidentally, you can shake your device and tap Redo.
Add text, a signature, magnifier and shapes
Tap the Add button to choose from other Markup tools:
Tap the circle to choose a different text colour, then tap the formatting button to adjust the font, size and alignment.
Add or create a signature for a document quickly.
Drag the loupe around, use the blue dot to adjust the size and the green dot to increase or decrease the magnification level.
Tap a shape to add it to your screenshot, photo or PDF. Drag the shape to where you want it and use the blue dots to adjust the size and shape. Use the green dots to adjust the arrow's curve and the speech bubble's appearance.
Do more with Markup
- Find out how to use Markup with Apple Pencil and iPad.
- Save and edit PDFs with the Books app on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.