Before you begin
- Set up iCloud to keep your reminders updated across all of your devices. Open the Settings app, then tap [your name] > iCloud and turn on Reminders. Inside the Reminders app, you’ll see all of your reminders on all of your Apple devices that are signed in to the same Apple ID.
- Find out more about upgrading your iCloud reminders after you've updated to iOS 13 or later or iPadOS.
Get started with Reminders
Create a reminder, add helpful details, then mark it as complete when you've done it.
How to create a reminder
- Open the Reminders app.
- Tap + New Reminder, then type your reminder.
- Tap Done.
You can also add reminders to your most important to-do lists from the Reminders widget on your Home screen.
Use the quick toolbar to add notifications and more
As you type a new reminder, a quick toolbar will appear, giving you quick and easy customisation options:
Set a due date
Tap the date and time button to set a due date for the reminder. Choose from Today, Tomorrow or This Weekend, or tap Date & Time to set your own day and time.
If you set a due date for a reminder but don't assign it a time, the notification will appear at 9.00 a.m. by default. To change when all-day reminder notifications appear, open the Settings app, then tap Reminders. Tap the time below All-Day Reminders, then choose a different time.
Add a location
Tap the location button to assign a notification based on where you are. Select one of the options provided or tap Custom to add your own location, choose whether you want to be notified when arriving or leaving, and set the perimeter of your reminder area.
To receive location-based reminders, make sure Location Services is turned on. Open the Settings app, then tap Privacy > Location Services and turn on Location Services.
Flag a reminder
Tap the flagged button to mark a reminder as extra important and make it appear in the Flagged smart list on the Reminders app main screen.
Add an attachment
Tap the photos button to add an attachment to the reminder. You can take a new photo, choose an image from your photo library or scan a document.
Assign a reminder
Tap the assignment button to assign a reminder to someone you're sharing the list with. Reminders assigned to you will appear in the Assigned to Me smart list on the Reminders app main screen.
Use smart suggestions
Reminders automatically suggests dates, times and locations for a reminder based on similar reminders you've created in the past.
Edit your reminder, get a notification when you're messaging and add more info
Tap the edit details button to add even more details and customisations to your reminder, such as notes, a URL and a priority level. You can also modify the reminder's notification settings and change the list that it belongs to.
Get a reminder when you're messaging someone
Turn on When Messaging if you want to receive a notification when you're chatting to a specified person in Messages.
Turn on When Messaging, tap Choose Person, then tap a name in your contacts.
The next time you chat to this person, a Reminders notification will appear.
Add notes and a URL
Use the Notes field to add some useful information to your reminder. If you have a web address related to the reminder, you can add it to the URL field. The notes and URL will appear along with the reminder in any lists that it belongs to.
Every reminder that you create can have subtasks. For example, a reminder to pack for a trip can include a list of things that you don't want to forget.
You can create subtasks in a few different ways:
- Tap and hold a reminder, then drag it onto another reminder. The reminder that you dragged will become a subtask of the other reminder.
- Swipe right on a reminder, then tap Indent. The reminder will become a subtask of the reminder above it. To undo this, swipe right again on the subtask and tap Outdent.
- Tap a reminder, then tap the edit details button . Tap Subtasks > Add Reminder, then type your subtask. Repeat for as many subtasks as you'd like to create.
Complete a reminder
To mark a reminder as completed, tap the empty circle next to it. To see your completed reminders, tap the more button , then tap Show Completed.
To delete a reminder without marking it as completed, swipe left on it, then tap Delete.
If you get a reminder notification on your Lock screen, swipe left over the reminder. Tap View, then tap Mark as Completed.
Organise your reminders with lists
Want to separate your reminders into categories, such as work, personal or school? Create a Reminders list to keep things organised. You can customise your lists with colours and icons, and share a list with other people. And the Reminders app's built-in smart lists give you a quick view of all of your reminders from across your custom lists.
How to create a new Reminders list
- Tap Add List in the Reminders app's main screen.
- Type a name for the list.
- Choose a colour and an icon or an emoji to customise the list and make it easier to recognise at a glance. Icons are only available for lists that you've created in your iCloud account.
- Tap Done.
After you've created a list, you can edit it:
- Tap the list that you want to edit, then tap the more button .
- Tap Name & Appearance.
- Change the list's name, colour or icon.
- Tap Done.
Lists can also be organised into groups – for example, you can create a group named Work that contains all of your work-related lists:
- Tap and hold a list.
- Drag the list onto another list.
- Give the new group a name.
- Tap Create.
Tap a group's name on the Reminders main screen to show or hide the lists that it contains.
How to move a reminder to a different list
- Tap a Reminders list, then tap the reminder that you want to move.
- Tap the edit details button .
- Tap List, then choose the list that you want to move the reminder to.
- Tap Done.
You can also drag a reminder to a different list:
- Tap and hold the reminder with one finger.
- While holding the reminder, tap the Lists button to go back to your lists.*
- Drop the reminder on the list that you want to move it to.
To move multiple reminders, tap one and hold it, then use another finger to tap the other ones that you want to include.
* If you're using an iPad, your lists will remain visible, so you can just drag reminders between lists.
Change the order of reminders
Tap and hold a reminder, then drag it to where you want it to appear within the list. Make sure you place it between reminders; if you drag it onto a reminder, it will become a subtask.
View your reminders in smart lists
The main screen of the Reminders app shows built-in smart lists that automatically organise your reminders into quick views:
- Today shows all of your reminders that have been marked as being due today. It also shows reminders that are overdue.
- Scheduled shows all of your reminders that have a due date – in the past, today or in the future.
- Flagged shows all of your reminders that you have assigned a flag to.
- All shows every reminder, organised by list.
Smart lists include reminders from all of your custom Reminders lists. In the Scheduled, All and Flagged smart lists, you can tap the more button and select Show Completed to include your completed reminders.
You may also see Assigned to Me and Siri Suggestions smart lists. Assigned to Me shows all of your reminders in shared lists that are assigned to you. Siri Suggestions shows suggested reminders for you to create based on your Mail and Messages.
Search for reminders
Use the search bar above smart lists to search your reminders. You can search for reminder text, people, locations and even detailed notes you've added. As you type, reminders that match your search term will appear, grouped by list.
Tap the dictate button to search using Dictation.
Do even more with Reminders
Add a reminder easily with Siri, create a reminder from within another app and share your lists with others.
How to share a Reminders list
- Tap the list that you want to share, then tap the more button .
- Tap Add People.
- Choose how you'd like to invite people to your Reminders list. You can use a built-in iOS app or a third-party app.
- Add the people you want to share the list with, then send the invitation. The steps for adding people and sending vary based on the app that you use.
After someone has accepted your invitation, they can add items, delete items and mark them as completed. To view shared Reminders lists that you've created in iOS 13 or later, the people you invite will also have to have iOS 13 or later on their device. Notifications that you set for your reminders aren't shared with anyone else.
Assign a reminder in a shared list
Assign reminders to people you share lists with and they'll be reminded. It's great for splitting up tasks and knowing who's responsible for what so nobody forgets.
To assign a reminder to someone:
- Tap the assignment button .
- Select the person you want to assign the reminder to.
- Tap Done.
Need to reassign a reminder or remove an assignment? Tap the assignee next to the reminder, then tap Reassign or Remove Assignment.
Add a reminder with Siri
You can ask Siri to schedule a reminder for you, on your iOS device or your Apple Watch.* Here are a few examples:
- "Remind me to feed the dog every day at 7.30 a.m."
- "Remind me to check the post when I get home."
- "Remind me to go to the supermarket when I leave here."
- "Remind me to call Tara tomorrow at 3.00 p.m."
Add your home and work addresses to your card in Contacts to allow Siri to help you set location-based reminders. Open the Contacts app, then tap My Card. Tap Edit, add your work or home address, then tap Done.
* Siri uses Location Services when your reminder needs to use your location. Siri availability, features and commands vary by language, country and region. Find out which Siri features are supported in which countries and regions.
Add a reminder from another app
Reminding yourself about something in an app, such as the news article you want to read when you get home, has never been easier. Create a shortcut to a place within another app by setting a reminder from within that app. Remind yourself to go back to that app – for example, to revisit a website or a map location – and there'll be a link in your reminder to where you left off.
With an app open, ask Siri "Remind me about this later". Or tap the share button in the app, then tap Reminders.
In your reminder, there'll be a link directly to a place in another app that you want to go back to.
When you get the scheduled notification or when you open Reminders, tap the link under the reminder to go directly to the app.You can also set a reminder when you get a phone call that you can't answer immediately. Tap Remind Me on the call screen, then choose when you want to be reminded to return the call.
Create and view reminders on your Apple Watch
The Reminders app on Apple Watch shows your iCloud reminders grouped into the same smart lists and custom lists that appear on your iPhone. Tap a list to see its reminders, and tap a reminder to mark it as completed.
You can quickly add new reminders using Siri on your Apple Watch, or by tapping Add Reminder or New Reminder within the app. Reminders that you create on your watch will appear on your iPhone and other devices that are signed in to the same Apple ID.