Follow these steps to use your Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote.*
The Siri Remote and Apple TV Remote* aren't compatible with Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation). Learn how to use the Apple Remote with Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation).
Learn some basics
- Touch surface: To move around the screen, swipe up, down, left or right. To select an item, highlight it, then press to click the Touch surface. To scroll through lists, quickly swipe up or down multiple times. If an index is next to the list, swipe right, then highlight a letter to go to that place in the list.
- Menu: Press once to wake your Apple TV if it's asleep.While browsing, press once to return to the previous screen. Press and hold to go to the Home screen.
- Apple TV App/Home: Press once to wake your Apple TV if it's asleep.To see your recently used apps, double press Apple TV App/Home. If your country or region supports the Apple TV App, press Apple TV App/Home to open the app and again to go to the Home screen. If not, press Apple TV App/Home once to go back to the Home screen.
To play or pause movies, shows, songs and more, press to click the Touch surface of your remote or press Play/Pause . You can also fast-forward, rewind, find special features and more.
- Press Play/Pause or click the Touch surface to highlight the song or video timeline. Then swipe to the right on the Touch surface to go forward.Click the right side of the Touch surface to play the next song or video.
- Press Play/Pause or click the Touch surface to highlight the song or video timeline. Then swipe to the left on the Touch surface to go back.Click the left side of the Touch surface to play the previous song or video.
With the latest version of tvOS, you can follow along as a song plays with time-synced lyrics. Use the Touch surface to scroll up or down to any verse in the song. Then click the Touch surface to begin playing the song from that spot.
You can fast-forward, rewind, and skip to certain parts of content from the iTunes Store and apps that support these features.
See more settings and features
- Video: Swipe down during playback, then swipe right to browse available options. If available, you'll see settings like subtitles, closed captioning, video chapters, audio and speaker settings.
- Audio: Choose a song and press Play/Pause to play it.Then press Menu to see all of the tracks on the album or playlist. From here you can shuffle your playlist, repeat a song, change your AirPlay device and more. The options you see might vary.
*Apple TV 4K and Apple TV HD ships with the same remote everywhere. In countries and regions that support Siri, the remote is called Siri Remote. Elsewhere, it’s called Apple TV Remote. Siri works on either remote as long as your Apple TV 4K or Apple TV HD is set up with a language and country or region that supports Siri.