What's in the box?
- Your Apple Pencil
- A Lightning adapter
- An extra tip
Pair your Apple Pencil with your iPad
You can use Apple Pencil with iPad Pro and iPad (6th generation). The first time you use your Apple Pencil, take off its cap and plug it into the Lightning connector on your iPad.
When you see the Pair button, tap it.
After you pair your Apple Pencil, it will stay paired until you restart your iPad, turn on airplane mode, or pair with another iPad. Just pair your Apple Pencil again when you're ready to use it.
Apple Pencil works only with iPad Pro and iPad (6th generation).
Use Apple Pencil
You can use Apple Pencil to write, markup, and draw with built-in apps and apps from the App Store. With some apps, like Notes, you can draw and sketch with an Apple Pencil.
To draw or sketch in the Notes app:
- Open Notes.
- Tap .
- To draw, tap . If you don't see , upgrade your notes. To sketch, tap , then tap Add Sketch.
- Start your drawing or sketch. You can choose from several drawing tools and colors, and switch to the eraser if you make a mistake. When you draw or sketch, you can tilt your Apple Pencil to shade a line and press more firmly to darken the line.
Learn more about using Apple Pencil with iPad Pro and iPad (6th generation).
If you draw near the edge of the screen with your Apple Pencil, iOS won't activate Control Center, Notification Center, or Multitasking. You can draw anywhere on the screen without getting interrupted.
Charge your Apple Pencil
You can charge your Apple Pencil by plugging it into the lightning connector on your iPad. You can also charge it with a USB Power Adapter by using the Apple Pencil Charging Adapter that came with your Apple Pencil. Apple Pencil will fast charge when plugged into either power source.
To see how much charge your Apple Pencil has left, check the Widgets view on your iPad.
Replace the tip
If the tip of your Apple Pencil becomes worn or damaged, you can replace it. There's an extra tip in the box, and you can buy more if you need to. Just unscrew the tip and screw in the new one.
If your Apple Pencil won't pair with your iPad
- Restart your iPad, then try to pair again.
- Go to Settings > Bluetooth and make sure that Bluetooth is turned on.
- On the same screen, look under My Devices for your Apple Pencil. If you see it, tap . Then tap Forget this Device.
- Plug your Apple Pencil into your iPad and tap the Pair button when it appears after a few seconds.
- If you don't see the Pair button, wait for one minute while your Apple Pencil charges. Then unplug your Apple Pencil, plug it back in, and wait until you see the Pair button.
- If you still don’t see the Pair button, contact Apple Support.