Metal is a graphics and compute technology built into macOS, iOS and tvOS. It allows the main processor (CPU) and graphics processor (GPU) to work together more effectively, providing more fluid graphics performance in games, and accelerating high-performance media apps. These Mac computers support Metal (and Metal 2) in OS X El Capitan or later:
- MacBook introduced in 2015 or later
- MacBook Air introduced in 2012 or later
- MacBook Pro introduced in 2012 or later
- Mac mini introduced in 2012 or later
- iMac introduced in 2012 or later
- iMac Pro (all models)
- Mac Pro introduced in late 2013 or later, plus mid-2010 and mid-2012 models with a recommended Metal-capable graphics card.