Share content with AirDrop
You can share content from apps such as Photos, Safari, Contacts, and more.
- Open an app and find the content that you want to share. To share multiple items, tap Select, then tap the items. With iOS 10 and later, you can also share apps with AirDrop. Just press and hold the app icon on the Home screen.
- Tap Share or .
- Tap the name of a nearby AirDrop user or the Apple device. If you have a Mac or another iOS device that's signed in with your Apple ID, you can also AirDrop content to that device. Don’t see the AirDrop user? Learn what to do.
Receive content with AirDrop
When someone shares content with you using AirDrop, you see an alert with a preview of the content and can tap Accept or Decline.
If you tap Accept, you get the content in the app it was sent from. For example, photos appear in the Photos app and websites open in Safari. App links open in the App Store so you can download or purchase the app.
If you AirDrop content to yourself, like share a photo from your iPhone to your Mac, you won't see an option to Accept or Decline. The content is automatically sent to that device. Just make sure that both devices are signed in with the same Apple ID.
Set your AirDrop receiving options
Use Control Center to choose who can see your device in AirDrop and send you content.
- Swipe up from the bottom of your screen to open Control Center.
- Tap AirDrop.
- Choose one of these options:
- Receiving Off: You won't receive AirDrop requests.
- Contacts Only: Only your contacts can see your device.
- Everyone: All nearby iOS devices using AirDrop can see your device.
If you can’t see the other device in AirDrop
If you can't see the person or the device that you're trying to AirDrop to, check the following:
- Check that both of you have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth turned on. If either of you have Personal Hotspot on, turn it off.
- Make sure that the person you're sending to is nearby. You can't AirDrop to users who are out of Bluetooth and Wi-Fi range.
- If the other person’s AirDrop receiving setting is set to Contacts Only, and you’re not in their Contacts, have them set their AirDrop receiving setting to Everyone.