Audio formats supported on Apple TV
Apple TV 4K and Apple TV HD automatically play sound in the highest quality that's supported by your home entertainment system setup and that's available with content that you watch.
If your home entertainment system doesn't support the audio format that Apple TV automatically selects, you can change the audio format manually. Go to Settings > Video and Audio > Audio Format and turn on Change Format. From here, you can choose the following:
- Dolby Digital 5.1: Plays audio on multiple speakers and a subwoofer, such as a 5.1 speaker setup.
- Stereo: Supported audio quality for all televisions, films and TV programmes that plays sound through a right and left channel.
Setups you can use
On Apple TV 4K with the latest version of tvOS, you can listen to music, films and TV shows in Dolby Atmos. Select one of the following setups to find out how to play sound in Dolby Atmos or surround sound.
- One or two HomePod speakers*
- A television that supports Dolby Atmos audio
- A Dolby Atmos-compatible sound bar with a television that supports Dolby Atmos audio
- A Dolby Atmos-enabled AV receiver
* Your Apple TV and HomePod speakers will automatically play sound in Dolby Atmos or surround sound if it's available with content that you watch. HomePod mini doesn't support Dolby Atmos. If you want to set up home theatre audio with HomePod, find out how.