About the LG UltraFine 5K Display
The LG UltraFine 5K Display features a 5120 x 2880 resolution, a P3 wide color gamut, 500 nits of brightness and built-in stereo speakers, camera, and microphone. Integration with macOS lets you control your display's volume and brightness without the need for physical buttons on the display.
You can use the included Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) cable or USB-C cable to connect your Mac or iPad. The display has one Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) port which delivers up to 94W of charging power to your Mac laptop or iPad and three USB-C ports that function as downstream USB-C ports (up to 5Gbps) to connect other devices and accessories.
System requirements and compatible Mac and iPad models
The LG UltraFine 5K Display (Model 27MD5KL-B) requires a Mac with a USB-C port or Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) port running macOS Mojave 10.14.6 or later, or an iPad with a USB-C port running iOS 12.4 or later. If your Mac has Thunderbolt 2 ports, you can use a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter to connect to the display.
5120 x 2880 at 60Hz
You can use the LG UltraFine 5K Display with these Mac and iPad models at full 5K resolution:
- Mac Studio introduced in 2022 or later
- Mac Pro introduced in 2019 or later
- MacBook Air introduced in 2018 or later
- Mac mini introduced in 2018 or later
- MacBook Pro introduced in 2016 or later
- iMac introduced in 2017 or later
- iMac Pro
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (5th generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (3rd generation)
Mac Studio supports up to four LG UltraFine 5K displays.
MacBook Pro models with M1 Pro support two LG UltraFine 5K displays. MacBook Pro models with M1 Max support three LG UltraFine 5K displays.
The Intel-based 15-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models support two LG UltraFine 5K displays. To use two LG UltraFine 5K Displays, you need to plug one display into a Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) port on the left side of your MacBook Pro, and the other display into a Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) port on the right side.
The 13-inch MacBook Pro, Mac mini, MacBook Air, and iMac support one LG UltraFine 5K Display.
iMac Pro supports two LG UltraFine 5K displays configured as dual-link SST 5120x2880 10bpc at 60Hz.
Mac Pro supports up to six LG UltraFine 5K displays depending on the graphics cards installed. Learn more about connecting multiple displays to your Mac Pro (2019).
3840 x 2160 at 60Hz
You can use the LG UltraFine 5K Display at a resolution of 3840 x 2160 at 60Hz on these devices:
- MacBook introduced in 2015 or later
- Mac computers with Thunderbolt 2 ports using the Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation and 4th generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation and 2nd generation)
- iPad Air (5th generation)
3840 x 2160 at 30Hz
If you have issues connecting the display
- The LG UltraFine 5K Display doesn't support daisy-chaining of displays. The three USB-C ports on the display provide additional connectivity to USB 3 devices only.
- Get help with video issues if your display doesn't power on when using the correct cable.
- If the LG UltraFine 5K Display doesn't power on after following the steps in the article above, contact LG to get service for your display.