If this is your first time using the Apple TV app
Make sure that your device is compatible with the Apple TV app.
If you're using a smart TV or streaming device, you might need to set up the Apple TV app first.
The Apple TV app comes already installed on your Apple devices. To use the latest features, make sure that your device is up to date with the latest version of iOS, iPadOS, macOS, or tvOS.
How to use the Apple TV app
Browse and purchase movies and TV shows. Subscribe to streaming services, like Apple TV+. And keep track of what you're watching — all within the Apple TV app.
- From the Watch Now tab, resume watching movies and shows under Up Next, and explore featured content from Apple TV+ and other premium channels. Learn how to subscribe to Apple TV+ or learn how to add other Apple TV channels.
- Discover the latest exclusive Apple TV+ releases and browse by category in the Apple TV+ tab.
- Buy or rent movies and shows directly from the Store tab on Apple devices and other compatible devices.
- Keep track of the movies that you rented, the movies and TV shows that you purchased, and all of your downloads in the Library tab.
- Watch Friday Night Baseball with Apple TV+.
If you're a cable subscriber, you can watch content in the Apple TV app. Learn how to sign in with your TV provider on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch or use your pay TV or cable provider on your Apple TV.
Pause, fast forward, and control how you watch
While you're watching, you can use the playback controls to pause, skip, turn on subtitles, and more.
To find the playback controls, open the Apple TV app on your device and start watching an episode or a movie.
- On your smart TV, gaming console, or other streaming device: Press the down button on the remote to control playback.
- On your Apple TV: Swipe up on the remote to control what's playing on your Apple TV.
- On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch: Tap the screen to control playback in the Apple TV app.
- On your Mac: Move your mouse or tap the trackpad to control what's playing in the Apple TV app on your Mac.