Here's how it works
The Photos app scans your photos to help you quickly recognize the people, scenes, and objects within the photos. Depending on the number of photos that you have, you can watch a Memory movie of them. And when you have iCloud Photos turned on, the people you favorite or name stay up to date across your Apple devices.
Find someone in the People album
The Photos app organizes the images of the people in the People album. You'll see a face thumbnail for each person your device recognizes. To find someone in your People album:
- Open the Photos app.
- Tap the Albums tab.
- Tap the People album.
If you named a person in the Photos app, you can also find them under the Search tab. Just tap Search , then type the person's name.
Add someone to the People album
- Open a photo of the person that you want to add, then swipe up to see a thumbnail of the person under People.
- Tap the thumbnail, then tap Add Name and type the person's name, or tap the name if it shows up.
- Tap Next, then tap Done.
Put a name to a face
Photos suggests names from your Contacts, but you can manually add a name to someone that's already in your People album: Here's how:
- Open the People album, then tap the thumbnail of the person that you want to name.
- Tap Add Name at the top of the screen.
- Select the person's name if it shows up, or finish typing it.
- Tap Next, then tap Done.
Merge photos of the same person
Sometimes the same person is identified in more than one group within your People album. To merge all of the photos under one group, tap Select, then tap all of the thumbnails that show the same person. Tap Merge near the bottom-right corner. Groups also merge if you give them the same name.
Use "Suggest Less" in the People album
With iOS 14, you can have the Photos app suggest certain people less frequently. This adjusts the way the Photos app curates your Memories, Featured photos, and the photos that you see in the Photos widget — so you see less photos of these people. Here's how:
- Open the People album and tap the person's thumbnail.
- Tap the More button in the upper-right corner.
- Tap "Suggest [name] Less."
- Tap the option again to confirm.
If you choose to suggest someone less, you'll have to reset your Memories settings in order to see that person again in the People album. Go to Settings > Photos, tap Reset Suggested Memories, then tap Reset to confirm.
Instead of suggesting someone less, you can remove them from the People album. Just follow steps 1-2 and tap "Remove [name] from People." You can add them back whenever you want.
Mark the People that you access the most as a Favorite so that it's easier to find them. If you haven't set any Favorites yet, you'll see the Favorite icon on the photos. To favorite someone, just tap the Favorite icon .
You can also tap the person's thumbnail, tap the More button , then tap "Add [name] to Favorites." To favorite multiple people at once, tap Select, tap each person that you want to favorite, then tap Favorite at the bottom of the People album.
Change a thumbnail photo
Photos automatically assigns a face thumbnail for each person it recognizes. If you want to use a different photo for someone's thumbnail, you can change it from their photo collection screen. Here's how:
- Open the People album, then tap the person.
- Tap Select, then tap Show Faces to focus on just the person’s face in each photo.
- Tap the photo that you want to use.
- Tap the Share button , then tap Make Key Photo.
Fix mixed-up names and faces
If you notice that there's a photo of someone in a collection that's misidentified, you can remove it. Here's how:
- In the People album, tap the person.
- Tap Select, then tap Show Faces to focus on just the person's face in each photo.
- Tap each photo that isn't of the person.
- Tap the Share button , then tap Not This Person.