Transfer videos and projects from iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your Mac
To transfer iMovie projects from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your Mac so you can work on the project on your Mac, use file sharing instead of sharing to iTunes. You can also use AirDrop, iCloud Drive, and more to transfer finished videos and projects.
Transfer iMovie projects using file sharing
Here's how to transfer iMovie projects from an iPhone or iPod touch with iOS 13 or an iPad with iPadOS to your Mac using file sharing and a cable connection:
- In the iMovie projects browser, tap the project to open the project details screen, then tap the Share button . If you're currently editing a movie, tap Done, then tap the Share button .
- Tap Export Project.
- Tap Save to Files.
If you haven't updated to the latest version of iMovie for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, tap iTunes. You can then transfer your iMovie project to your Mac.
- Swipe up, tap "On My iPhone" or "On My iPad" depending on your device, then tap the iMovie folder to select that folder.
- Tap Save.
- You can now transfer your iMovie project to your Mac.
Share videos and projects with AirDrop, iCloud Drive, and more
Share videos to the Apple TV app on Mac
In iMovie on macOS Catalina, instead of sharing to iTunes, save a movie, trailer, or clip on your Mac and then import it into your Apple TV library. Then you can watch your movie in the Apple TV app on your Mac.
- Select a movie, trailer, or clip in the browser.
- Click the Share button in the toolbar, and then click File.
- In the dialog that appears, set the title and description of your movie, add tags, and more.
- Click Next, navigate to where you want to save the file, and then click Save. A progress indicator appears on the right side of the toolbar. Click the progress indicator to see details. The indicator disappears when the operation has finished, and the "Share Successful" notification appears.
- In the Apple TV app, choose File > Import, and then navigate to the location where you saved the file.
- Click Open.
Your video appears in the Home Videos section in the Apple TV app Library. In the Apple TV app, you can add the movie to your other devices such as Apple TV, iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch.
Watch videos on all your devices with iCloud Photos
Move videos to iCloud Photos on iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad
- In the iMovie projects browser, tap the video that you want to move to open the project details screen. If you're currently editing a movie, tap Done first.
- Tap the Share button at the bottom of the project details screen.
- Tap a video to select it. If the Download button appears, tap it to download the video to your device.
- Tap the Share button , tap Save Video, then tap OK when it's saved.
- Repeat for every video you want to copy to iCloud Photos.
Move videos to iCloud Photos on Mac
- In the iMovie projects browser, click the video that you want to move to select it. If you're currently editing a movie, tap Projects in the toolbar first.
- Click the Share button , then choose File.
- Click the Resolution pop-up menu and choose the highest resolution available. Set the other share options, then click Next.
- Choose a location on your Mac to save the video, like the Desktop, then click Save.
- Open Photos.
- Find the saved video on your Mac, then drag it into Photos.
Repeat for every video you want to copy to iCloud Photos.
If you don't use iCloud Photos
If you don't use iCloud Photos, you can AirPlay your videos from iPhone, iPad, or Mac to watch your videos on Apple TV.