Add an equation to your Pages, Numbers, or Keynote document
- Tap or click where you want to add the equation, then follow the steps for your device:
- On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, tap , tap , then tap Equation .
- On your Mac, from the menu bar, choose Insert > Equation.
- Enter an equation using LaTeX commands or MathML elements.1 On iPhone and iPad, you can also use the shortcut symbols above the keyboard. When you finish typing, a preview of the equation appears.2
- Click or tap Insert.
You can also use MathType with Pages, Numbers, and Keynote for Mac if you have MathType 6.7d (or later) installed. The first time you insert an equation, select Use MathType, or turn it on in Preferences:
- Open Pages, Numbers, or Keynote.
- Choose [Application] > Preferences.
- Select the "Insert and edit equations with MathType" checkbox.
Learn which LaTeX commands and MathML elements you can use with Pages, Numbers, and Keynote.
1. To make equation authoring easier, the equation editor is in math mode by default, so it isn't necessary to add math mode commands to your equations.
2. If the preview is empty or displays an error, check your equation to make sure it’s correct.