Apple Music members can access millions of songs, curated radio and playlists, and music recommendations, all in the Apple Music app. Members can also access their music across other devices, as long as they're signed in to Apple Music with the same Apple ID, and download music to listen to offline.
Apple Music features and pricing might vary by country or region.
Before you join
- Update the iOS software on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, and get the latest version of iTunes on your Mac or PC.
- Back up your iOS devices, and your Mac or PC, so that you have a copy of your music and other information if your device is ever replaced, lost, or damaged.
Apple Music is not a back up service, so make sure to always have a back up of your music collection before you make any changes.
Join Apple Music
To join, you'll need:
- The Apple ID and password that you use to make purchases in the iTunes Store. If you're not sure if you have an Apple ID, we can help you find out.
- To decide which type of membership you want. Learn more about joining as a student member, joining with a Family Membership, and pricing. You can also later change to an annual membership.
- A valid payment method.
Tap or click this link to start your trial, and follow the onscreen steps to join. Or, open the Music app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or iTunes on your Mac or PC. If you don't see an offer to join Apple Music when you first open the Music app, tap For You at the bottom of the screen. In iTunes, click the For You tab at the top of the iTunes window.
You can also join Apple Music on an Android phone.
If you don't see the Join Apple Music message in For You
If you're not a member of Apple Music, you'll see a message in the For You section asking you to join. If you don't see this message, turn on Show Apple Music:
- iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch: Go to Settings > Music, and turn on Show Apple Music.
- Mac: Open iTunes. From the menu bar at the top of your computer screen, choose iTunes > Preferences. Select Show Apple Music.
- PC: Open iTunes. From the menu bar at the top of the iTunes window, choose Edit > Preferences. Select Show Apple Music.
About valid payment methods
When you first sign up for an Apple Music membership, you can choose only one of these payment methods:
- Credit card
- Debit card
- Mobile phone billing (through supported carriers)
- Mobile phone service provider bundling (through supported carriers)
Make sure not to join Apple Music through both Apple and your mobile phone service provider, or you will be charged by both.
- iTunes and Apple Music Gift Cards
To use store credit to pay for your Apple Music membership, you must have enough store credit to cover the amount of one billing period at the regular price of the Apple Music plan type that you choose. Learn more about how to redeem gift cards.
After you sign up, you can change your payment method to a different method, such as PayPal. Learn more about payment methods.
Choose genres and artists that you like
We use the genres and artists that you choose to give you music suggestions from our experts who know and love music. These suggestions are what you see in the For You tab. You can also choose different genres and artists anytime after you join.
During the join process:
- Tap or click once on the genres and artists that you like.
- Tap or click twice on the genres and artists that you like the most.
- Press and hold or click the in the upper-left corner of genres or artists that you don’t like to remove them.
If you don’t see artists that you like, tap Load More Artists. Select at least three artists, then tap Done.
How to get an Apple Music Annual Membership
After you join, you can change to an Annual Membership. With an Annual Membership, you get 12 months of Apple Music for the price of 10.
To change your membership:
- Open the Music app, then tap For You.
- Tap the profile icon or your photo in the upper-right corner.
- Tap View Apple ID. You might be asked to sign in or use Touch ID.
- Tap Subscriptions, then tap Apple Music Membership to see your membership options.
- Under Options, choose Individual (1 Year). Confirm your selection, then tap Back.
- Learn how to use Apple Music in the Music app.
- Learn how to set up and manage your music collection on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, or PC.
- You can change your membership at any time. Learn how to change your membership type or cancel your Apple Music membership.
- As an Apple Music member, you don't need to buy songs or albums from the iTunes Store. But you can still purchase music if, for example, you'd like to own a DRM-free version of a track.