The Apple T2 Security Chip is Apple's second-generation, custom silicon for Mac. By redesigning and integrating several controllers found in other Mac computers—such as the System Management Controller, image signal processor, audio controller, and SSD controller—the T2 chip delivers new capabilities to your Mac.
For example, the T2 chip enables a new level of security by including a secure enclave coprocessor that secures Touch ID data and provides the foundation for new encrypted storage and secure boot capabilities. And the T2 chip's image signal processor works with the FaceTime HD camera to enable enhanced tone mapping, improved exposure control, and face-detection–based autoexposure and auto white balance.
Computers that have the Apple T2 Security Chip
These Mac computers have the Apple T2 Security Chip:
- iMac Pro
- Mac mini models introduced in 2018
- MacBook Air models introduced in 2018
- MacBook Pro models introduced in 2018 or later
You can also use System Information to learn whether your Mac has this chip:
- Press and hold the Option key while choosing Apple () menu > System Information.
- In the sidebar, select either Controller or iBridge, depending on the version of macOS in use.
- If you see "Apple T2 chip" on the right, your Mac has the Apple T2 Security Chip.