You can use the Apple TV app on an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with the latest version of iOS, Apple TV 4K or Apple TV HD with the latest version of tvOS, Apple TV (3rd generation) with Apple TV Software Update 7.3 or later, and on eligible smart TVs.
The Apple TV app isn't available in all countries or regions. See if the Apple TV app is available in your country or region.
Explore the Apple TV app
To navigate the Apple TV app:
- On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, use the tabs at the bottom of the screen.
- On your Apple TV or compatible smart TV, use the tabs at the top of the screen.
Watch Now shows your favorite TV shows and movies from your streaming apps, Apple TV channels, and the iTunes Store. It features Up Next, which lets you pick up where you left off on any device that's signed in to the Apple TV app with your Apple ID. You can also find movie and TV show suggestions picked just for you, and dedicated selections based on everything you like to watch.
You can also subscribe to Apple TV channels to enjoy your favorite shows and movies from the channels that you watch — without leaving the Apple TV app.
Find all of your purchases, along with your current rentals, in the Library tab. On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, the Library tab also shows you everything that's downloaded on your device, like movies, TV shows, and content from Apple TV channels.
Use the Search tab to browse trending content and find movies and TV shows by title, actor, and more.
Play movies and TV shows
When you play something in the TV app on your iOS device, tap the screen to access playback controls. From here, you can do the following:
- Play, pause, fast forward and rewind what's playing.
- To turn on subtitles or audio languages, tap .
- To AirPlay video from your iOS device to your Apple TV or AirPlay 2-compatible smart TV, tap .
On Apple TV or smart TVs, use your remote to play, pause, rewind, and control what's playing. To turn on subtitles or see more information about a video that you're watching:
- On your Apple TV, swipe down on the Touch surface of the remote.
- On your smart TV, press down on the remote.
More ways to watch
On your Apple TV, you can use Siri to control playback and find something to watch.
If you have an AirPlay 2-compatible smart TV that supports HomeKit, add your smart TV to the Home app. Then you can ask Siri on your iOS device to play what you want to watch on your TV, and control what's playing.
With the Apple TV Remote in Control Center, you can control your Apple TV and AirPlay 2-compatible smart TV right from the Lock screen on your iOS device.
Change your settings
On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, go to Settings > TV. From here, you can adjust these settings:
- Use Play History: What you play on your device will influence personal recommendations and Up Next on all devices that support the Apple TV app. Turn off to stop using play history for recommendations.
- Show Sports Scores: In the United States and Canada, you can hide game scores from showing in the Sports tab. Just turn off Show Sports Scores.
- Notifications: Get alerts for new episodes of a show you watch, sports scores of teams you follow, and more. Learn more about notifications.
- Use Cellular Data: Tap iTunes Videos, then turn on Use Cellular Data for Playback to stream movies and TV shows when your device is connected to a cellular network and using cellular data. Turn off to only stream content when your device is connected to a Wi-Fi network.
- Downloaded videos: Go to Settings > General > [device] Storage > TV to control what’s downloaded to your device.
You can also change settings for the Apple TV app on your Apple TV and smart TV. On your Apple TV, go to Settings > Apps > TV. On your smart TV, open the Apple TV app and go to Settings.
- If you use your cable provider with your Apple TV, iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, you can access on-demand programming from your cable provider in Watch Now.
- Subscribe to Apple TV channels in the Apple TV app to watch all of your favorite shows and movies.
- Buy movies and TV shows from the Apple TV app.
- Rent movies from the Apple TV app.
- Turn on subtitles or change the audio language for videos.
- Manage your Apple TV channel subscription on your iOS device, Apple TV, in the Apple TV app on your smart TV, or in iTunes on your Mac or PC.