With Apple Music, when you add a song to a playlist from the Apple Music catalog, you can turn off the option for it to automatically add to your Library. For example, if you create a playlist for holiday music, you can add songs to that playlist without the chance that they'll play when you listen to your Library on shuffle in July.
After you update to the latest software on all of your devices (iOS 9.3 or later, iTunes 12.3.3 or later, tvOS 9.2 or later, and Apple Music 0.9.7 or later on Android), when you try to add a song from the Apple Music catalog to your Library, you'll see a message that asks if you want to add the song to your Library or only to a playlist.
You can change the setting to add songs to your Library at any time. When you change this setting on one device, the change applies to all other devices on which you're signed in with the same Apple ID.
On your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch
Make sure that your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is running iOS 9.3 or later. (Learn how to update the iOS software on your device.) Then follow these steps:
- Go to Settings > Music.
- Turn off Add Playlist Songs.
On your Mac or PC
Make sure that your Mac or PC has iTunes 12.3.3 or later. (Get the latest version of iTunes.) Then follow these steps:
- Open iTunes.
- Mac: From the menu bar at the top of your computer screen, choose iTunes > Preferences.
Windows: From the menu bar at the top of the iTunes window, choose Edit > Preferences.
- On the General tab, deselect "Add songs to Library when adding to playlists" to turn the option off.
- Click OK to save your changes.
On your Apple TV (4th generation)
Make sure that your Apple TV (4th generation) is running tvOS 9.2 or later. (Learn how to update the software on your Apple TV.) Then follow these steps:
- Go to Settings > Apps > Music.
- Swipe down on the Touch surface of your remote to "Add Playlist Songs to Library," then click the Touch surface to turn it off.
On your Android phone
Make sure that you have Apple Music 0.9.7 or later. Then follow these steps:
- Open the Apple Music app.
- In the upper-left corner, tap the menu icon .
- Tap Settings.
- Turn off "Add Playlist Songs."
Move songs from your Library to a playlist
If you have songs in your Library that you want to move to a playlist and remove from iCloud Music Library, you first need to delete the song from your library, which will remove it from all playlists. Then, add the song back from the Apple Music catalog and add it just to a playlist.