Update your Apple TV automatically
You can set your Apple TV to automatically install new updates when they're available. Go to Settings > System > Software Updates and turn on Automatically Update.
Update your Apple TV manually
- Go to Settings > System > Software Updates and select Update Software.
- If there's an update, select Download and Install.
- Wait for your Apple TV to download the update. Keep your Apple TV connected and plugged in to power until the update is complete.
After the update downloads, your Apple TV will restart, prepare the update, then install it. When the update is complete, your Apple TV will automatically restart again.
- If you can’t update your Apple TV, make sure that you’re connected to a Wi-Fi or Ethernet network.
- If the progress bar for the update appears stuck or paused, and "Preparing Update" or "Applying Update" appears on your TV screen, allow more time for the update to complete. If you've been waiting for more than an hour, contact Apple Support before you restart or unplug your Apple TV.
- If the progress bar for the update appears stuck or paused below an Apple logo without any text, and you've been waiting for more than an hour, restart your Apple TV by unplugging then plugging it back into power. If your Apple TV still doesn't update, contact Apple Support.
- If there is an issue during the update, you might see a message that asks you to Reset All Settings, Restore, or Restart. Try the Restart option first. If issues persist, try Reset All Settings followed by Restore.
- If your TV shows an iPhone next to an Apple TV, learn what to do.
- If your TV shows a warning symbol, learn what to do.
For other issues, contact Apple Support.