Add an emoji
Find the emoji keyboard in any app that uses the standard keyboard, like Mail or Messages. To add an emoji:
- Tap the text field, then tap or .
- Use the gray icons at the bottom of the keyboard to switch emoji themes, or swipe left or right to view more. Tap to see emoji that you've recently used.
- To change the skin tone of certain emoji, tap and hold an emoji.
- Tap an emoji to add it to your text field.
Tap to replace words with emoji
The Messages app shows you words that you can replace with emoji.
- Open Messages and tap to start a new message or go to an existing conversation.
- Write your message, then tap or on your keyboard.
- Wait for the words to turn orange.
- Tap an orange word to replace it with an emoji. If there's more than one emoji you can use, the Quick Reply field shows you options to choose from.
- Tap to send.
If you want to replace the emoji with the original word, just tap the emoji.
Use Predictive emoji
With Predictive text, you can write and complete entire sentences with just a tap. As you type, you see choices for words and phrases you might type next, based on your past conversations and writing style. You also see suggestions for emoji you may want to use. To use a Predictive emoji, write your message and look for the suggested emoji in the predictive input field, then tap it to replace the word or add an emoji.
To turn off Predictive text, touch and hold or , tap Keyboard Settings, then turn off Predictive.
Don't see the emoji keyboard?
If you don't see the emoji keyboard, make sure that it's is turned on.
- Go to Settings > General and tap Keyboard.
- Tap Keyboards, then tap Add New Keyboard.
- Tap Emoji.