Here's what to expect
- Music that you’ve imported or purchased will be in the new Apple Music app.
- Music playlists and smart playlists that you've created in iTunes will be in the new Apple Music app.
- The iTunes Store will still be available to buy music on Mac, iOS, PC, and Apple TV.
- iTunes Gift Cards and iTunes credits will be maintained and can be used with the new apps and the App Store.
- iPhone, iPad, and iPod backup, restore, and syncing will move to Finder.
- Movies and TV shows that you purchased or rented from iTunes will be in the new Apple TV app.
- Use the Apple TV app for Mac for future movie and TV purchases or rentals.
- Podcasts that you subscribed to or added to iTunes will now be in the new Apple Podcasts app.
- Audiobooks that you purchased from iTunes will now be in the updated Apple Books app.
- Use the Apple Books app for Mac for future audiobook purchases.
New apps, same library
macOS Catalina makes it faster and simpler to access all of your “ripped” or imported music, purchased media, and more. The new apps organize your media just like the same apps on iOS. Your entire media collection will find a new home and transition automatically into the new Apple Music, Apple TV, and Apple Podcasts apps. In addition, your previous iTunes Store purchases and synced libraries will not change on any of your devices.
The iTunes Store on Mac can easily be found in the improved Sidebar in the Apple Music app. The iTunes Store will remain the same as it is today on iOS, PC, and Apple TV. And, as always, you can access and download all of your purchases on any of your devices.
Subscribe to Apple Music
You can also subscribe to Apple Music to stream and download over 50 million songs, and access your entire music library across all of your devices. If you subscribe to Apple Music, you can also choose to show or hide the iTunes Store to simplify the experience further.
Buy movies, TV shows, and audiobooks
The Apple TV app is the new home for movies and TV shows. And the Apple Books app is now the home for audiobooks. Both the Apple TV app and the Apple Books app have stores where you can buy all the same content as the iTunes Store. You can also find your previous purchases from iTunes in these apps too.
Sync devices with Finder
All of the ways you manage devices in iTunes will soon appear in the Finder on Mac. Your sync settings and previous backups in iTunes will be kept safe on your Mac after updating to macOS Catalina. Now that devices appear in Finder, it’s also easier to drag and drop files you want to transfer all in one place.