New in GarageBand 10.4.9
Stability and reliability
- Fixes an issue where GarageBand could quit unexpectedly when opening Learn to Play lessons or Chord Trainer.
- Improves stability when using VoiceOver with GarageBand.
- All plug-ins are now accessible when opened in Controls View.
- Controls view is now available for the Amp Designer and Bass Amp Designer plug-ins, allowing for Voice Over control of these two plug-ins.
- The Harmonics knob in the Vintage B3 instrument now continues to work after changing to a different patch.
- Plug-ins now reliably open in Controls View when the "Open plug-ins in Controls view by default" setting is enabled.
- The Show/Hide Flex button no longer disables Flex mode.
- Follow Mode for Drummer now works with tracks that contain Takes.
- Resolves an issue where creating automation at the top or bottom edge of the Master Track with the Pencil tool could result in unexpected automation points being created
Sharing and export
- Exported songs now include the minute the file was created in the file name.
- GarageBand no longer reopens the Save window each time a song is saved using Logic Remote
- Fixes an issue where clicking on a template in the New Project panel could cause the view to unexpectedly scroll to the bottom.
- Switching the Audio output device no longer also switches the Audio input device.
- Downloading a Learn to Play Lesson no longer interrupts another in-progress lesson download.
- The Keyboard Sensitivity slider now retains its value when switching between tracks.
- This update provides important security fixes and is recommended for all users.
- VoiceOver now correctly announces the state of the mono/stereo selector in the Smart Controls inspector.
- The second, spurious button for Keyboard Sensitivity in Smart Controls is no longer present when using VoiceOver.
- GarageBand no longer remains stuck on the Guitar Lesson page if that page is open and a connected Apogee Hype MiC is unplugged.
- Intel Audio Unit plug-ins now load and function as expected.
- Audio from Voice Memos can now be dragged directly onto a track in GarageBand.
- Performing Bounce and Replace All Tracks with the Include Automation option deselected no longer mutes track-based automation on the destination tracks.
- Recording MIDI over an existing region in Replace mode no longer removes audio from other tracks at the same position in the time line.
- The tone slider for the Metronome now has more consistent control for newly created projects.
- The recording setting for overlapping regions no longer resets to Merge when GarageBand is restarted.
- The volume slider now remains visible and functional for all track header widths.
- When recording MIDI over an existing MIDI region in Replace mode, the exsiting MIDI recording is no longer unexpectedly audible.
- Choosing the Go to Left Locator and Go to Right Locator commands to move through a song project, may now be performed using key commands.
- For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222.
- GarageBand no longer quits unexpectedly when sharing to SoundCloud.
- VoiceOver now correctly announces the state of the record button.
- Audio Units that use PACE copy protection now work in GarageBand.
- The graph in Channel EQ now displays the effect of the overall Gain setting.
- The key command Show/Hide Flex now works as expected.
- Smart Controls on a locked track now immediately display as active when the track is unlocked.
- Files can now be dragged directly from Music into GarageBand.
MIDI Controllers/Control Surfaces
- Lua scripts for external MIDI controllers now continue to work when Logic Remote is connected to GarageBand.
- The Piano Roll Notes tab now retains changes made to the Quantize value when a song is saved, closed and then re-opened.
- VoiceOver now reliably announces the state of controls in the GarageBand Preferences window.
- Plug-ins that use PACE copy protection now work properly with GarageBand.
- The values of Alchemy synth controls now update as the controls are adjusted.
- Resizing the Smart Controls or Editor window no longer causes selected tracks to lose focus.
- It is now possible to choose "None" in the Articulation Set pop-up menu.
- Undo now works after changing the Quantization value in the Piano Roll inspector.
- It is now easier to resize editor windows.
- Resolves an issue where the GarageBand startup screen was sometimes blank at launch.
- Eight Producer Packs with royalty-free sounds from today’s biggest hitmakers including Boys Noize, Mark Lettieri, Mark Ronson, Oak Felder, Soulection, Take A Daytrip, Tom Misch, and TRAKGIRL.
- Sound Packs feature slap house, modern ambient, and a collection of 808 drum kits, bass samples, and loops.
- Adds a total of 2800 loops, 50 kits, and 120 patches.
Stability and reliability
- GarageBand no longer hangs when the Learn to Play window is opened while there is no network connection.
- GarageBand no longer displays a spinning wait cursor when dragging loops into a track from the Finder.
- Instances of Sampler in songs created on GarageBand for iOS and iPadOS now load properly when the song is opened in GarageBand for macOS.
- Software Instrument patches can now be filtered by Sound Pack name in the Patch Library.
- The Show/Hide Automation button now functions properly when there are no automation points currently in the track.
- Region-based automation in the Piano Roll editor is now dimmed when automation is disabled.
Learn to Play
- Resolves an issue in which Artist lessons might not output sound after a basic lesson was opened and played first.
- Replacing a movie file and then performing Undo no longer leaves the audio from the just-replaced movie.
Control Surfaces and MIDI Controllers
- GarageBand now provides LUA script support for developers of 3rd-party MIDI controllers.
- GarageBand no longer displays an Accessibility Access Event alert message when using VoiceOver to trigger a key on the Piano Roll keyboard.
- The Master Echo button no longer flashes unexpectedly when the Master button is clicked.
- MIDI Sustain events now respond correctly when starting playhead in any position on the timeline.
- This update contains stability improvements and security updates. Learn more about Apple security updates.
- Adjusting the Limiter level parameter in the Smart Controls no longer causes an unexpected drop in level.
- Plug-ins can now be opened in Controls view, which makes their functions available while using VoiceOver.
- The region header in the Audio Editor now updates correctly when a track is muted.
- Sounds from the 808 Bass collection now sound and play correctly.
- On the Region tab of the Audio Editor, Time Quantize for audio regions displays as expected after a take folder is deselected and then reselected.
New feature and enhancements
- Refined new design on macOS Big Sur.
- Improved performance and efficiency on Mac computers with Apple silicon.
- Allows customization of region colors in your tracks.
- Adds 1800 Apple Loops in a variety of genres including Hip-Hop, Chill Rap, Future Bass, New Disco, Bass House, and more.
- Adds over 190 instrument patches and 50 vintage and modern drum kits.
Stability and reliability
- GarageBand no longer becomes unresponsive sometimes when dragging the top edge of the Smart Controls display.
- When GarageBand is on a secondary display, the app is now immediately visible when exiting from Full Screen mode.
- VoiceOver now provides audible feedback when showing or hiding the Master Track.
- VoiceOver now provides audible feedback when showing or hiding Automation.
- VoiceOver now provides audible feedback when showing or hiding the Library.
- VoiceOver now provides audible feedback when showing or hiding alignment guides.
- VoiceOver now provides audible feedback when toggling snap to grid.
- VoiceOver now provides audible feedback when performing zoom.
- Transposition now works reliably after dragging an audio Apple Loop to an empty portion of the Tracks area.
- Creating Apple Loops from regions now works in cases where the end of the region is close to the end of the song.
- When quantize is enabled for an audio region, the “Strength” setting automatically is set to 100.
- Choosing a different tab in a dual-tabbed Smart Control display now works reliably.
- Newly inserted instances of Space Designer now show the correct reverb length.
- If dragging a plug-in to a new position or empty slot, this will no longer reset customized settings back to default.
- GarageBand now displays an alert when an audio file that contains no tempo information is imported.
- GarageBand now displays a dialog when an audio file is imported containing tempo information into an empty project.
- GarageBand now properly opens .CAF files created by Voice Memos that have been shared to the Finder or Mail.
- When “Create Takes” mode is active, GarageBand will no longer display a “Circular Structure” error while recording MIDI over an existing Take folder that is covered by another region.
- The quantize menu now remains visible after Flex Time is turned off and then back on.
- The level meters for the Master Output in the Control bar now continue to function when the output is set to mono.
- Saving a song that contains a movie no longer causes GarageBand to display a dialog asking to replace to the movie file.
- Importing an audio file with the same name as an existing file in a song no longer overwrites the existing file.
• This update contains stability improvements and bug fixes.
- Smart Controls now work as expected on Mac computers that don't support Metal.
- The Loop Browser now allows you to filter by loop type.
- GarageBand no longer quits unexpectedly when the Intro to Guitar lesson is opened a second time in the same Learn to Play session.
- The keys on the keyboard in the Piano Roll are now the expected size.
- Open System-based windows in GarageBand now immediately change between Light and Dark mode when the mode is changed in the System Settings.
- The input level meter now works in the Learn to Play setup window.
- GarageBand no longer hangs when opening the Sound Library, the Note Pad, the Loop Browser, or the Media Browser when the Smart Controls are open.
- When opening GarageBand on a Mac in which the sound library has been moved using Logic Pro or MainStage, and the external drive containing the library is not connected, GarageBand now shows a dialog indicating the drive must be connected to access to sounds.
- It is now possible to reinstall the Sound Library in GarageBand after moving the library in Logic Pro or MainStage, and then disconnecting the external drive that contains the library.
- Impulse Response files for Chinese and Japanese traditional instruments are now correctly found when a GarageBand for iOS project is opened on macOS.
Learn to Play
- The Tuning Hint window now opens in Learn to Play lessons that feature non-standard tunings.
- Chords now display in the correct positions in the Chord Trainer.
- The Chord Trainer again provides visual feedback when correct and incorrect chords are played.
- GarageBand now supports drag and drop from Voice Memos.
- The Smart Controls Inspector now displays correctly in newly created projects.
- The LCD display now immediately updates to reflect undo or redo of key signature change.
- The GarageBand window now remains visible after exiting full screen mode.
- It is now possible to position the end of song marker with greater precision.
GarageBand for macOS 10.3.1
- Resolves an issue where third-party Audio Units and the PlatinumVerb plug-in could not be accessed.
GarageBand for macOS 10.3
New features and enhancements
- Two new Drummers play roots- and jazz-influenced brush styles.
- Over 20 free downloadable Artist Lessons show you how to play hit songs on piano and guitar, taught by the artist who made them famous.
- Includes 1,000 new electronic and urban loops covering Reggaeton, Future Bass, and Chill Rap.
- Includes 400 animal, transportation, and voice sound effects. Learn how to download the new sounds.
- Play and record using traditional instruments from China mainland and Japan with the Guzheng, Koto, and Taiko drums.
- Add classic sounds to your song with 5 Vintage Mellotron patches.
- Updates compatibility with GarageBand for iOS.
Stability and reliability
- GarageBand no longer quits unexpectedly when loading certain patches created in Logic Pro.
- MIDI Pan data can now be edited in GarageBand.
- The Help Tag for the Marquee tool now shows the total length of the current selection as well as its start and end positions.
- Step editing of automation is now possible in the Piano Roll editor by pressing Command-Option.
- VoiceOver now announces the type of track that is selected in the New Track dialog.
- VoiceOver now speaks the names of tracks when interacting with regions in the tracks area.
- The size of plug-in windows no longer sometimes changes unexpectedly when switching to presets that contain a different number of controls.
- Enabling "Follow Tempo & Pitch" in the Region editor now also enables Flex in the Track Editor if it is not already active.
- GarageBand no longer unexpectedly sustains notes when using Musical Typing.
- Metronome volume and tone can be adjusted in the GarageBand Preferences.
- The GarageBand LCD again displays times down to milliseconds.
- Master Echo and Master Reverb bypass settings are now saved in GarageBand projects.
- Performing Undo after changing the key of a project now correctly returns Apple Loops to the original key.
- Software Instrument tracks now respond properly to MIDI input after Track Lock is disabled.
- It is now possible to record audio during playback.