Follow these steps to check the HDMI connection between your Apple TV and television. If you still need help, learn what to do.
Check the power cord
Make sure that your Apple TV is plugged into power and that the status light is on. If you don’t see the status light, here's what you can do. After each step, see if you still need help.
- Try using the remote to wake up your Apple TV.
- Unplug the power cord from your Apple TV, wait 30 seconds, then plug the power cord back in.
- Try using a different power outlet.
- If the Apple TV is plugged into a power strip, make sure that the power strip is turned on.
Check your HDMI cable
If the status light on your Apple TV is on and you don’t see video or hear sound, make sure that your HDMI cable is securely plugged into your Apple TV and to any connected televisions, receivers, or HDMI switches.
If you have these issues on your Apple TV 4K, learn what to do.
Check your television or receiver settings
Make sure that your television and receiver are powered on. If your television or receiver has multiple HDMI ports, you might need to switch to the HDMI input on your television or receiver that your Apple TV is connected to. You can also try using a different HDMI port or HDMI cable.
Try switching to another display mode
If you see a black screen or briefly see the Apple logo before returning to a black screen, try using the remote to change video resolutions:
- On Apple TV 4K or Apple TV (4th generation), hold Menu and Volume Down for 5 seconds, then release. Your Apple TV will switch to a new resolution every 20 seconds. Select OK to choose a resolution or Cancel to quit.
- For Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation), hold Menu and Up for 5 seconds. Your Apple TV will switch to a new resolution every 20 seconds. Select OK to choose a resolution or Cancel to quit.
Still need help?
If you still can’t see video or hear sound on your television, there might be an issue with your HDMI cable or the connection to your television or receiver. Try these steps. After each step, see if you still need help.
- Try a different HDMI port on your television.
- Connect your Apple TV directly into your television with a different HDMI cable. Don’t connect to a switch or receiver, and try to use HDMI 1 or Input 1 on your television.
- If your Apple TV is connected directly to your television and you see the Apple TV Home screen, try connecting additional devices, like a receiver or HDMI switch, one at a time.
- After each additional device is connected, check that you still see the Home screen on your television.
If you still can’t see a picture on your television, hear sound, or only see the Apple logo, contact Apple Support.