Depending on which Mac and macOS you're using, you might hear a startup sound shortly after pressing the power button to turn on your Mac. With macOS Big Sur 11 or later, you can control whether your Mac plays this sound.
macOS Ventura or later
- Choose Apple menu > System Settings.
- Click Sound in the sidebar.
- Turn “Play sound on startup” on or off.
macOS Monterey or macOS Big Sur
- Choose Apple menu > System Preferences.
- Click Sound.
- In the Sound Effects pane, use the “Play sound on startup” setting to turn the startup sound on or off.
Earlier versions of macOS
Earlier versions of macOS do not offer a setting to control whether your Mac plays a sound on startup.