Through the App Store, you can download new apps for your iOS device, Mac, or Apple TV.
Browse and buy
To download and buy apps from the App Store, you need an Apple ID. Your Apple ID is the account that you use to access Apple services. If you've used other Apple services like iCloud, sign in to the App Store with the same Apple ID. If you don't have an Apple ID, you can create one.
If you're in the App Store on any of your devices and see near an app, it means you already bought or downloaded that app. If you tap or click , the app downloads to your device again but doesn't charge you. You can also see apps you've already purchased on the Updates or Purchased tabs.
You can purchase apps for your Apple TV from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. If you have automatic downloads turned on, the apps download and install automatically to your Apple TV. If you don't have automatic downloads turned on, any apps that you purchase for tvOS are available to download on your Apple TV under Purchases in the App Store for tvOS.
On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
Open the App Store on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to browse apps.
- Tap Today to see featured stories and apps.
- Tap Games or Apps to see new releases, top charts, or browse by category.
- Tap Search to use a keyword to find an app.
When you find an app that you want, download it to your device:
- Tap on the app to view the app's product page.
- To get a free app, tap Get.
To buy an app, tap the price.
- You might need to authenticate your Apple ID to complete your download or purchase. This might mean entering your password, or using Touch ID or Face ID if you have them set up.
After your app finishes downloading, you can move it to a different spot on your Home screen.
On your Mac
- Open the App Store.
- Browse or search for the app that you want to download. Developers of apps for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch don't always have an app for Mac.
- Click the app.
- If the app is free, click Get, then click Install App.
If the app has a price, click the price, then click Buy App.
The app starts downloading to your Mac. When the download is complete, you can click Open or use Spotlight search to find and open the app.
On your Apple TV
To browse apps on your Apple TV, open the App Store. When you find an app that you want to buy or download, follow these steps:
- Select the app.
- If the app is free, select Get.
If the app has a price, select the price.
You might be asked to enter your password. After you enter your password, your app downloads.
The App Store isn’t available on Apple TV (3rd generation or earlier).
Learn more about an app
If you want to know specific information about an app, like what languages the app is available in, the app’s file size, or its compatibility with other Apple devices, scroll to the bottom of an app’s product page. You might be able to tap some sections to learn more.
You can also contact the app developer for help with an app's functionality.
Get help with billing
- If you have an app charge that you don't recognize, check your previous purchase history. If you still don't recognize the charge, you can report a problem or contact Apple Support.
- For recurring charges from an in-app subscription, learn how to view, change, or cancel your subscription.
- You can redownload previously purchased apps from the Account page in the App Store.
- Learn how to change or remove your Apple ID payment information.
- If your App Store is missing or you can't find it on your device, you might have Restrictions turned on.
- You can also get apps made by Apple from the App Store.
- Learn what to do if an app unexpectedly quits, stops responding while installing, or won't open.
- If an app also has an iMessage app or sticker pack, you can open it in Messages.
- If an app is compatible with Apple Watch, you can manage it through the Apple Watch app on your iPhone.