The True Tone technology in Mac computers and Apple Pro Display XDR uses advanced multi-channel sensors to adjust the colour and intensity of your display and Touch Bar to match the ambient light so images appear more natural.
- Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Displays.
- Click the Display tab.
- Use the True Tone tick box to turn this feature on or off. It only appears on displays that support True Tone.
True Tone on external displays
True Tone can also adjust these external displays when they're connected to your iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020) or Mac notebook when its lid open:
- Apple Thunderbolt Display, using the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 adaptor
- LG UltraFine 5K Display
- LG UltraFine 4K Display
True Tone also works on Apple Pro Display XDR using its built-in ambient light sensors, when connected to any compatible Mac computer.
- Some display accessibility settings, including Invert Colours, Greyscale, and Increase Contrast, may turn off True Tone.
- You can use True Tone and Night Shift at the same time.