Set up HomePod
Place HomePod on a solid surface with at least 15 cm (6 inches) of space around it.
- Plug HomePod in to power. Wait for a chime and a pulsing white light to appear on the top of HomePod.
- Unlock your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch and hold it next to HomePod. Tap Set Up when it appears on your device's screen.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to choose your HomePod settings. You can also customise and manage all of the settings for HomePod in the Home app after setup.
- When asked, centre HomePod in the viewfinder on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to complete pairing. If you can't use your camera, tap Enter Passcode Manually and Siri will respond with a four-digit passcode to enter on your device.
- Wait for HomePod to finish setup. Then Siri will greet you and give you a few examples of things you can ask.
If you can't see the setup screen, you can manually set up HomePod. Just open the Home app, tap , tap Add Accessory, tap Don't Have a Code or Can't Scan at the bottom, then tap HomePod and follow the on-screen instructions.
Learn what to do if you can't set up HomePod.
You can't set up HomePod with Mac.
How to control HomePod
You can control HomePod with the touch controls, the Home app or from Control Centre, or by asking Siri.
Use touch controls
Tap the top of HomePod to play, pause or adjust the volume. The top of HomePod also shows you when Siri is listening by displaying a multicoloured light. Learn how to use the touch controls on your HomePod.
Use the Home app and Control Centre
You can play and pause music playing on HomePod in the Home app. Here’s how:
- On iPhone, iPad or iPod touch: Open the Home app and tap HomePod.
- On Mac: Open the Home app and click HomePod.*
Want to do this from Control Centre on your iOS or iPadOS device? Add the Home app to Control Centre, then open Control Centre on your iPhone, iPod touch or iPad and tap HomePod to quickly play and pause music.
*To use the Home app on Mac, update your Mac to macOS Mojave or later.
Use Siri on HomePod
From playing music to controlling your home, your voice is Siri's command on HomePod. And, you don't need your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to be present to use Siri to play music, control your home or ask questions. Just say "Hey Siri", then make your request.
To learn some basic things you can ask, say "Hey Siri, what can you do?" Discover more things you can ask Siri.