Trim your video
Got a video that's too long to send via Mail or Messages? Or maybe you just want to share part of a video with your friends and family? With the Photos app, you can change the start and stop time to make your video shorter.
How to trim a video on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch
- Open the Photos app and tap the video that you want to edit.
- Tap Edit.
- Move the sliders on both sides of the video timeline to change the start and stop times. To preview your trimmed video, tap the play button .
- Tap Done, then tap Save Video or Save Video as New Clip.
Save Video saves only the trimmed version of the video. Save as New Clip will keep the original version and save an additional trimmed version in your library.
How to trim a video on your Mac
- Open the Photos app and double-click the video that you want to edit.
- Hover over the video, click the action button , and choose Trim.
- Move the yellow sliders on both sides of the video timeline to change the start and stop times. To preview your trimmed video, click the play button .
- Click Trim.
How to undo a video trim
On your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch, open the video that you trimmed. Tap Edit. Tap Revert, then tap Revert to Original.*
On your Mac, open the video that you trimmed. Click Edit. Click the action button , and choose Reset Trim.
* If you're editing a video that you created using the Save Video as New Clip function, tapping Revert to Original will undo any edits that you've made, such as adjusting exposure or adding a filter. However, it won't restore the video to its original length.
Add a filter and rotate your videos
After you have taken your video, open the photo in the Photos app and tap Edit. You can rotate, add a filter and adjust the look of your video in the Photos app. If you're not happy with your changes, tap Cancel to revert back to the original.
On your Mac, open the Photos app and click Edit to adjust the look of your video. If you're not happy with your changes, click Revert to Original or Reset Adjustments.
Customise your slo-mo video
After you have made a recording in the slo-mo camera mode, you can edit which part of your video plays with the slow motion effect. That means your video can be played at regular speed, but slow down for the details that you don't want your viewers to miss.
On your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch, tap Edit on the slo-mo video that you want to edit. On your Mac, just hover over the video. Then use the vertical white lines in the video timeline to set when slo-mo begins and ends.
Use third-party apps
You can also download third-party apps on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to edit your videos further. Or install third-party photo editing extensions on your Mac to use alongside the built-in tools in Photos. Learn more about editing with third-party extensions on your Mac.
Do more with Photos
- Learn how to take and edit photos on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.
- If you have a 4K video, learn how to edit it with iMovie.
- Store your photos and videos in iCloud Photos so that you can access them everywhere you go.
- Keep your collection organised in the Photos app.