You may want to make a copy of the information you're keeping in iCloud. If you accidentally delete an important contact, email or document, you can restore it from iCloud or from another copy you have.
iCloud Drive files
Follow these steps to copy documents from your Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, iCloud.com or PC. If you copy a file from a shared folder in iCloud Drive to another folder, sharing access won't also be copied. Find out more about folder sharing.
Copy files from iCloud Drive to your Mac
- Click iCloud Drive in the sidebar of any Finder window.
- Press and hold the Option key and drag the file to a new location.
Copy files from the Files app on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch
Follow these steps to send copies of files stored in iCloud Drive:
- Open the Files app and tap iCloud Drive.
- Tap the folder you want to open, then tap the file to open it.
- Tap Share in the lower-left corner.
- Choose how you want to send a copy of the file.
For documents, spreadsheets or presentations, tap More in the upper right, select Export, and choose how you want to export the file. You can also save a copy of your file locally.
Copy files from iCloud.com
Follow these steps to download files stored in iCloud Drive, or files that are accessible from iWork apps on iCloud.com:
- Sign in to iCloud.com.
- Open iCloud Drive.
- Find and select the file.
- Click Download at the top of the page or double-click the file. The document will be downloaded to your default download location.
Copy files from Windows
If you need help with any third-party data that is being stored on iCloud, contact the app developer directly. Third-party data may use your iCloud storage, even if you can't see the details.
Photos and videos
If you use iCloud Photos, your photos and videos will be automatically uploaded to iCloud at full resolution.
Download copies of your photos and videos from your device
- On your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch, tap Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Photos. Then select Download and Keep Originals and import the photos to your computer.
- On your Mac, open the Photos app. Select the photos and videos you want to copy. Choose File > Export.
- On your PC, make sure you've set up iCloud for Windows and turned on iCloud Photos. Open File Explorer. In the Navigation pane, click iCloud Photos, then select the images you want to keep on your PC. Right-click the selection and choose "Always keep on this device". If you use iCloud for Windows 10 or earlier, find out how to download your photos. After the items have been downloaded, copy them to another folder on your computer. To do this, press and hold the Ctrl key and drag the items to the folder. Include this folder if you back up your computer.
Download copies of your photos and videos from iCloud.com
If you want to download a few photos or videos, use iCloud.com to download the most recent version of photos and videos.
- On your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch, go to iCloud.com, tap Photos and tap Select. Then select the photos and videos you want to download, and tap More . Select Download, and your photos and videos will be downloaded as a .zip file to iCloud Drive.
- On your Mac or PC, just go to iCloud.com and click Photos. Then select the photos and videos you want to download and click Download .
Copy photos from Shared Albums
You can also use the steps below to manually copy photos and videos. Comments or likes connected to a shared photo won't be saved, and photos and videos saved from shared albums won't be stored at full resolution.
Copy photos from Shared Albums on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch
- Open Photos and tap Albums.
- Find Shared Albums, then tap the name of the album you want. You may need to swipe left to find the shared album.
- Save photos from the album using one of these methods:
- Tap an image to open it, then tap Share . To select more images, scroll the images left or right and tap the ones you want to save. Tap Save Image.
- Tap Select, then tap the images you want to save. Tap Share , then tap Save Image.
- Import the photos to your computer.
Copy photos and videos from Shared Albums on your Mac
Follow these steps to manually import photos and videos in shared albums to your Photos library:
- Open Photos and select Shared Albums.
- Double-click a shared album.
- Control click (or right-click) a photo and choose Import.
After you've imported your photos, you may want to back up your library. You can store them as a separate library on your computer or on a different drive.
Copy photos and videos from Shared Albums in Windows
Saved photos are available even if you've turned off Photos in iCloud for Windows. To save photos and videos from a shared album, you must save them to another folder on your hard drive:
- Open iCloud for Windows.
- Click Options next to Photos. Note the path listed under iCloud Photos location.
- Open a File Explorer window (Windows 8 or later) or Windows Explorer window (Windows 7).
- Go to the iCloud Photos folder using the above path. Open the Shared folder.
- Select the photos you want to save, then copy them to another folder on your computer. To do this, press and hold the Ctrl key and drag the items to your folder. Include this folder if you back up your computer.
For information on backing up your Windows computer, see Microsoft Support.
Download photos from My Photo Stream on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch
Photos in My Photo Stream will be downloaded to your Mac automatically. Follow these steps to download them to your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.
- Tap Photos, then tap the Albums tab.
- Tap My Photo Stream.
- Tap Select, then tap all of the photos you want to save.
- Tap Share , then tap Save Image.
Find out how to move, delete or copy iCloud email on your Mac.
Follow the steps below to export contacts from your Mac, iCloud.com or PC.
Export contacts on your Mac
- Open Contacts.
- Select All Contacts.
- Click a contact in the Contacts list.
- Choose File > Export > Export vCard or choose Edit > Select All to select all cards for export.
- Choose where you want to save the files, then click Save.
If you use Groups, consider archiving your entire Contacts or Address Book database as well as exporting vCards. The vCard method above will copy your contacts, but not Groups. Archives are more complex, but you may not be able to restore data using Archives while connected to the internet and signed in to iCloud.
To export an archive, open Contacts and choose File > Export > Contacts Archive.
Export contacts from iCloud.com
Export contacts in Outlook on your PC
Follow the steps below to export a calendar from your Mac, iCloud.com or PC.
Export a calendar on your Mac
- In Calendar, click the calendar’s name. If you can’t see your calendars, click Calendars.
- Choose File > Export > Export.
- Choose a location for the file, and then click Export.
Download a calendar from iCloud.com
- Sign in to iCloud.com with your Apple ID and open Calendar.
- Publicly share the calendar.
- Copy the URL of the shared calendar and paste it into the address field in your browser. Don't click Enter or Return.
- Change "webcal" to "http" and click Enter or Return. An ICS file will be downloaded to your default download location.
- Add the calendar to a calendar client, such as Calendar on Mac or Outlook on a Windows computer.
- Stop sharing the calendar.
iCloud Calendar keeps information from the last six months, and up to three years in the future.
Export a calendar in Outlook on your PC
- Open Outlook and go to your Calendar.
- Select the calendar you want to copy in the Calendar list.
- Untick all other calendars.
- Choose File > Save Calendar.
- Click More Options to adjust the date range and amount of detail to include in the calendar. This varies depending on your version of Outlook.
- Click OK.
- Choose where you want to save the calendar, then click Save.
- Repeat with each calendar you want to copy.
Export a copy of your Reminders on your Mac running macOS Mojave or earlier:
- Open Reminders.
- Go to the reminder list you want to export.
- Choose File > Export.
- Enter a name, choose a location and then click Export.
Export a copy of your Safari bookmarks on your Mac:
- Choose File > Export Bookmarks.
- Choose where you want to export the file, then click Save. The file’s name is Safari Bookmarks.html unless you change it.
Make a copy of a note on your Mac or at iCloud.com:
- Open the Notes app and select the note you want.
- Click File > Export as PDF.
- Choose where to save the document on your computer.
Make a copy of a Voice Memo on your iPhone or iPad:
- Open the Voice Memos app and tap the recording you want to duplicate.
- Tap More > Duplicate. You can also tap Share to send the recording by Messages or Mail, or to save it to Files.
On a Mac, simply drag the recording you want to duplicate to copy it to a new location, or tap Share to send the recording by Messages or Mail.
Remember to back up
iCloud backs up your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch automatically each day when it's connected to a power source and Wi-Fi, and your device's screen is locked. If you choose to keep another copy, you can back up to your computer. You should also regularly back up your iOS and iPadOS devices. If you have a backup, you can restore your data if your computer or device is damaged or lost.