Before updating Logic Pro for Mac, make sure you back up the currently installed version of the Logic Pro application and your Logic Pro projects.
New in Logic Pro 10.8
- Deliver a release-ready mix with Mastering Assistant and its professional palette of intuitive sound-shaping tools.
Find out more about Mastering Assistant
- Transform any audio sample into a malleable sound that you can perform using Sample Alchemy.
- Radically reshape and reshuffle audio with Beat Breaker, a sophisticated time- and pitch-morphing instrument.
- New Slip and Rotate tools allow for the contents inside a region to be moved independently of their position on the timeline.
- Ability to record in 32-bit float is now available when using supported audio devices.
- Free Hybrid Textures Sample Alchemy pack includes a collection of 70 patches and over 80 loops built from found sounds flipped into creative playable instruments.
- Choose how MIDI 2.0 data is displayed from the Display MIDI Data As pop-up menu in Logic Pro > Settings > View.
- Record buttons in manually armed Software Instrument tracks now blink.
- The contextual menu for notes in the Piano Roll Editor now offers commands to nudge notes left or right by the note length.
- User-created Tuning Tables can now be exported.
- There are now key commands to select the previous and next articulation in the current Articulation set.
- When using Hermode Tuning, the Track inspector offers new options to Analyse, Apply, or Analyse and Apply.
Stability and reliability
- Improved stability when MIDI 2.0 is enabled and using Audio Units that output MIDI.
- Resolves an issue where Logic Pro could quit unexpectedly when channel assignments on a multi-mono instance of an Audio Unit placed after the Atmos plug-in are changed.
- Bouncing a file with the same name as a recently deleted audio file no longer causes Logic Pro to quit unexpectedly.
- Deleting a newly created Arrangement marker no longer causes Logic Pro to hang and then quit unexpectedly.
- Improves stability with AUv3 plug-ins.
- Duplicating a nested Folder Stack no longer causes Logic Pro to hang.
- Resolves an issue where Logic Pro would hang if the Transform window was opened while the numerical position display in the LCD was highlighted for typed-in entry.
- Resolves an issue where Logic Pro may quit unexpectedly when accessing the Tempo List editor using VoiceOver.
- Resolves an issue where Logic Pro may quit unexpectedly when removing Quick Sampler from a Drum Machine Designer subtrack.
- Fixes an issue where Logic could quit unexpectedly when importing AAF files.
- Resolves an issue where Logic Pro may quit unexpectedly when copy/pasting a large number of automation points.
- Resolves an issue where Logic Pro no longer quits unexpectedly when importing Score Sets from another project.
- Logic Pro no longer quits unexpectedly when packing a folder while an OSC control surface is connected.
- Making a Controller Assignment to a new Zone in the Control Surface Setup no longer causes Logic to quit unexpectedly.
- Logic Pro now correctly opens without hanging when a project is double-clicked on macOS Sonoma.
- Show/Hide Automation Groups is now faster.
- Performance is improved when performing Quick Swipe comping or dividing deeply nested audio Take Folders.
- Performance is improved when copying a large number of events.
- Overall performance in the Score Editor is improved.
- VoiceOver can now trigger scenes in Live Loops.
- When navigating to a Mixer channel strip, VoiceOver now reads out parameters in the expected order.
- There is now a setting to separately control VoiceOver verbosity for the Playhead when playing, recording and scrubbing.
- VoiceOver now announces the state of the Waveform Zoom button on the Toolbar.
- VoiceOver now announces the name of the Automation Mode tickbox on Mixer channels.
- Drummer regions created in Logic Pro for iPad can now be converted to Pattern regions when the project is opened in Logic Pro for Mac.
- Third-party Mac-only Audio Units plug-ins are now correctly restored when a Logic Pro for Mac project is opened and saved in Logic Pro for iPad and then reopened on Mac.
- Grid cells now show/hide as expected when toggling the global Hidden Tracks button.
- Fixes an issue where it was possible to create a loop length of 0 ticks while dragging the left loop handle all the way to the right.
Sampler and Quick Sampler
- Group and Zone data from Sampler can now be copied to the clipboard.
- Samples for user-created Sampler instruments are now found correctly.
- There is now a command to map samples evenly across the keyboard range when importing into Sampler.
- Sampler now displays the Loop Crossfade value reliably.
- Resolves an issue where Quick Sampler could sometimes pass audio input when it’s not in Recorder mode.
- Preview in Step Sequencer now stops when the main Transport is stopped.
- Step Sequencer now offers an Autozoom view option for Sub Rows.
- Newly created Pattern regions on Drum Machine Designer tracks now contain the same number of Step Sequencer rows as there are Drum Machine Designer subtracks.
- Values of Smart Controls changed from an external MIDI controller are now written in Live Record mode.
- Fixes an issue where factory templates for Step Sequencer that are set to chromatic could unexpectedly quantise to the song key.
- The Step Sequencer editor can now be zoomed using Option and the scroll wheel.
- Default pattern lengths in Step Sequencer now take the current time signature at the Pattern Region position into account.
- When bouncing an Atmos object track in place to a new track, the panner position for the new track is now set to the neutral position.
- Resolves an issue where object tracks that use Audio Units plug-ins could play out of sync.
- Fixes an issue where ADM BWF exports from projects that contain a bus with mono input that has been muted via volume automation could contain signal from the bus.
- Smart Tempo now displays time signatures in Hint Mode.
- Apply Changes in Smart Tempo now accounts for Hints applied throughout a recording correctly.
- Fixes an issue where free tempo recordings could be placed before 1 1 1 1.
- Resolves an issue where tempo information could be written into regions recorded in KEEP mode with Cycle on, after a take folder recorded in the same cycle area has been deleted.
- Tracks created by Option-drag are now selected in the Mixer and on attached control surfaces, as expected.
- Autoscroll to Selection in the Mixer now works correctly.
- The Mixer in the Main window now continues to show meters after a separate Mixer window has been opened.
- Values on send knobs in the Mixer are now visible while manually typing them in.
- Channel strip sends no longer remain active when the track is set to Off.
- Soloed Aux channels now include audio sent from tracks that are in a Summing Stack.
- Fixes an issue where option-dragging a marquee selection of an audio region to the bottom of the Tracks area to create a new track could create a duplicate stereo output instead.
- It is no longer possible to insert a new plug-in above the first plug-in slot that is occupied by an ARA plug-in on a channel strip.
- Adjusting a mixer control that is part of multiple selected mixer channels no longer produces unexpected changes to some channels in cases where some of the selected items are in Automation Trim mode, and some are not.
- The Plug-in Manager now includes a Format column to differentiate Logic Pro, AUv2 and AUv3 plug-ins.
- Delay Compensation with side-chained plug-ins is now calculated accurately.
- The Repeater in Remix FX now gives results with consistent timing when it’s set to Triplets, with long activation times.
- Time based plug-ins now sound correct when placed after high-latency plug-ins with Low Latency Mode enabled.
- The Seed parameter in the Randomiser MIDI plug-in now interacts with the Probability setting as expected.
- Fidelity of the Scanner Vibrato is improved.
- The Omnisphere Audio Units instrument plug-in now instantiates in Logic Pro as expected.
- Instances of Alchemy in which Formant has been disabled now retain that setting when the project is saved and then reopened.
- Loop indexing now finds all installed Apple Loops correctly.
- Resolves an issue where Melodyne ARA could unexpectedly open in Clips mode in projects with tempo events before 1 1 1 1.
- Tracks that use an ARA plug-in now play reliably in sync when another plug-in that uses Lookahead or a sidechain is also on the channel strip.
- Tracks that include a Melodyne ARA plug-in and another plug-in that is side-chained no longer exhibit unexpected latency.
- Region-based Automation can now be copy/pasted between regions.
- Using Option-drag to insert a second copy of a plug-in on a track no longer moves existing track automation for the plug-in to the copy.
- Region automation points can now be dragged in single-track folders.
- It is now possible to select automation parameters in the Piano Roll Editor with MIDI Take regions
Bounce and export
- When Bounce in Place is used to replace a Take Folder, the take lanes no longer remain.
Drummer and Drum Machine Designer
- Fixes an issue where dragging a region from a Drummer track to a Drum Machine Designer track could delete the content from the region.
- Rotary knobs in the Drummer editor can now be controlled using the mouse or a two-finger scroll on a track pad.
- Drum Machine Designer can now be selected as the instrument used on a new MIDI track in the Create New Track sheet.
- It’s now possible to add user samples to an instance of Drum Machine Designer after a nested Track Stack has been created inside the Drum Machine Designer stack.
- Fixes an issue where cabled objects pasted into the Environment could unexpectedly be placed below the visible area and can be freely moved after having been pasted.
- Deleted Transform Sets no longer remain visible in the Functions menu if there are other user-created sets still in the project.
- When naming a newly created Transform Set, Logic Pro no longer asks if you want to create a new set or rename the existing one.
- In the Piano Roll Editor, Logic Pro now outputs the pitch of the note selected when adjusting its note velocity in the automation lane.
- Opening the Piano Roll Editor with a key command while recording now opens the editor with the correct vertical focus on the content.
- MIDI Editors now offer increased resolution for values when using MIDI 2.0.
- Fades added to audio regions from the inspector now immediately show on the region in Automation view.
Flex Time and Flex Pitch
- Enabling Flex on a region recorded in 6/8 or 7/8 time no longer causes the region to unexpectedly stretch.
- Flex Pitch notes are displayed as expected for the section of an audio region revealed by extending the left-hand edge of the region after flattening a Take Folder.
- The Decay parameter in the Flex inspector is now dimmed as expected when Fill Gaps is not enabled.
- Snap to bar for Global Tracks now works with time signatures other than 4/4.
- When tracks are imported from a project with a different sample rate, audio files are now converted to the current project sample rate.
- Automation data for Audio Unit plug-in controls now imports when importing tracks from one project to another.
- All Tempo Sets, Signature Sets and Marker Sets are now imported when importing Global Tracks from another project.
- Atmos Object tracks imported from other projects now retain their movement and position information.
- The playhead no longer jumps unexpectedly back to the start of the project after importing tracks from another project.
- Channels created by dragging audio files into the Tracks area now route to the main outputs.
- Tempo maps now import correctly from MIDI files that have no notes at the beginning of the file.
- Track Names in Track Stacks now immediately display as expected after importing tracks into a project.
- Fixes an issue where switching the Key Commands Presets from English to French and then back could show unexpected conflicts between assignments.
- Commands that use modifier keys are now highlighted as expected in the Pressed view of Key Commands window.
- The key commands for assigning articulations in the Score now also work in the Piano Roll Editor.
- The “Play from Left Window Edge” key command now works correctly.
- Fixes an issue where the Key Commands window could show conflicts after initialising all key commands.
- Logic Remote now displays and allows control of Independent Pan, Sends on Faders and Pre/Post Fader send position.
- Selecting steps in a Pattern region in Logic Pro now updates the selection in Logic Remote.
- The Reset Messages tickboxes in Project Settings now reliably send the correct MIDI events.
- The second byte in double-byte parameters, such as pitch bend, is now read correctly on playback.
- Newly recorded regions created with Replace on in cycle mode are now selected, as expected.
- Free Tempo recording to a muted track no longer causes the track to unmute.
- It is now possible to disable record on other MIDI tracks by pressing Option while arming a MIDI track.
- MIDI input on Software Instrument tracks that are preceded by 32 or more audio tracks in the Track List now works in cases where the setting “Input monitoring only for the focused track, and only when input monitoring is enabled (as in GarageBand)” is enabled.
- Scroll to Selection in Page View in the Score Editor now works as expected.
- The Note context menu in the Score now includes the Repeat Notes command.
- Score Sets duplicated from existing sets can now be deleted.
- The space setting in the Staff Styles window can now display values of more than two digits.
- It is now possible to filter by Instrument in Score Sets.
- The Split Note setting in the Staff Styles window now consistently displays the octave number for the note.
- Independent dotted notes are now drawn correctly when using small font sizes.
- Resolves an issue where applying Selection Based Processing to multiple selected regions could create a single audio file if the Create New Take option is selected.
- Changes to the “Show as” setting in Settings > Audio > I/O Assignments > Surround are now retained after Logic Pro has restarted.
Share and export
- Exported MIDI files are no longer unexpectedly lengthened.
- Tracks that use plug-ins that have a different over-sampling setting for offline rendering now remain in sync when performing an offline bounce.
- Manually set bounce lengths are now preserved after performing a bounce if Auto Set Locators is enabled.
- Exported MIDI files containing Lyric events now import correctly.
- Exporting selected regions as audio files no longer creates silent files if Region Solo is active.
Control surfaces and MIDI controllers
- User-created controller assignments in the Control Surface Setup now reliably map to the intended control in the Group Inspector.
- The status for the Recording Light device now displays correctly.
- Channels on Logic/Mackie Control compatible control surfaces can now be set to unity gain by pressing Option-Select on the device.
- Track colours are now shown on the channel LCD displays on Behringer X-Touch devices.
- Logic/Mackie Control compatible devices now reliably update their LEDs in response to button presses/releases when MIDI 2.0 is enabled.
- Functions assigned to an X-Touch control surface now work regardless of window focus in Logic Pro.
- Control Surfaces that use LUA scripts now reliably connect with the first connection request.
- Improves compatibility with Novation Launchpad X MIDI controllers.
- Fixes an issue where adding a second EQ to a channel using the EQ tab in Smart Controls could cause every available slot in the channel strip to be populated with an EQ.
- User-created patches now include all sends saved with the patch when loaded.
- Patches that contain articulations now load successfully into tracks that are in a Summing Stack.
- Newly added tracks in an existing track stack now mute as expected when another track in the stack is soloed.
- The tooltip now shows the correct position after moving an Arrangement Marker and then performing Undo.
- Changing a project from stereo to Atmos now creates an undo step.
- The Undo history now displays Normalise functions as expected.
- Projects saved to cloud storage locations now display in the Recents menu.
- Logic Pro now detects newly connected MIDI devices correctly.
- Choosing “Save as” with a folder-based project no longer defaults to the most recently saved project folder.
- Track sorting now works as expected.
- The Track Icon selector window now follows the light/dark mode setting.
- The Bit Depth criteria for search in the All Files browser now includes a selection for 32-bit.
- The Move Files entry in the Project Audio window now correctly displays the number for files to be moved.
- Double-clicking below the last track in the Track Header no longer disarms the currently selected track.
- Key focus now remains on the correct window when multiple Main windows are open.
- When swiping in the Track Header to toggle Mute, Solo, Freeze or Track Power, the last track swiped is no longer unexpectedly armed.
- The Playhead now snaps correctly in projects that start at positions other than 1 1 1 1.
- The Slip Left and Slip Right commands now move reversed audio regions in the correct direction.
- The Audio Track Editor now updates to show selected regions on the Project Audio window.
- The Copy/Convert File command in the Project Audio window now works correctly when only the Bit Depth is set to be changed in the selected audio files.
- The track arm status for software instrument tracks is now correct in templates saved in older versions of Logic Pro.
- The Audio File Editor now continues to display audio waveforms after a screenset has been recalled.
- The Tool selector now works correctly in the Live Loops Grid.
- Control Surface settings are now available from the Logic Pro > Settings menu.
- The Track Setup window now immediately shows new audio devices chosen in the Audio Devices settings window.
- Zoom in Step Sequencer now centres on the currently focused lane, rather than the top lane.
- Tracks created by dragging an Apple Loop below the last track in the Tracks Area now reliably get focus.
- Logic Pro now presents a dialogue asking whether to create a new audio file when joining regions with the Join tool.
- The Select All Following command now works as expected.
- The progress bar displayed when a destructive edit is performed in the Audio File Editor now shows the progress accurately.
- The cursors for newly selected tools are now displayed immediately on macOS Sonoma.
- No-overlap now works reliably when pasting regions over portions of existing regions.
- For previous Logic Pro release notes, see the following:
- Logic Pro User Guide
- Logic Pro support