Use a SIM card from your carrier
If you set up a mobile data plan at your local service provider, then the SIM card will be activated. Just open the SIM-card tray and insert the SIM card from your service provider.
If you can't connect to mobile data, go to Settings > Mobile Data and make sure that mobile data is on.
Use an eSIM, embedded Apple SIM or Apple SIM
Set up a plan on your iPad
You can set up a plan with a participating service provider worldwide.
- If you're setting up your first plan on your iPad, go to Settings > Mobile Data > Set Up Mobile Data. If you're setting up another plan on your iPad, go to Settings > Mobile Data > Add a New Plan.
- Choose a service provider. If you don’t see your preferred service provider, contact them for a SIM card or an eSIM.* If you still need help, learn what to do.
- Choose a plan and create an account, or add your iPad to an existing plan.
- Tap Confirm.
Your plan should activate in a few moments.
Some countries and regions might restrict local residents from signing up for mobile data plans. Check with your service provider for details.
* eSIM on iPad is not offered in China mainland.
Scan a QR code
- Go to Settings > Mobile Data.
- Tap Add Mobile Data Plan.
- Use your iPad to scan the QR code that your service provider provided.
If you're asked to enter a confirmation code to activate the eSIM, enter the number that your service provider provided.
Use a service provider app
- Go to the App Store and download your service provider's app.
- Use the app to purchase a mobile data plan.
Change your plan
To change or check the status of your plan, go to Settings > Mobile Data. If you set up your mobile data plan with a service provider, you might need to contact them directly to change your plan.
You can have multiple plans on your iPad by signing up on your iPad with multiple service providers, adding multiple eSIM plans and inserting a SIM card in the nano-SIM tray. To switch between active plans, go to Settings > Mobile Data and tap the plan you want to use under Mobile Data Plans.
Deactivate your plan
Your plan is either prepaid or post-paid. To deactivate a prepaid plan, which is contract free, don't renew it at the end of the month.
Post-paid plans renew monthly. To deactivate a post-paid plan:
- Go to Settings > Mobile Data.
- Tap the name of your service provider and choose not to renew your plan.
If a message says that the account type isn't supported or if you got a SIM from your service provider and you don't see a View Account button, call your service provider and ask them to deactivate your account.
Transfer your plan from one iPad to another
If you have a SIM card for your plan, follow these steps:
- Turn off both devices: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button until the red slider appears. Then drag the slider.
- Use the SIM-removal tool that came with your iPad to open the SIM tray on your previous iPad.
- Open the SIM tray on your new iPad. If there's a SIM card on the SIM tray, remove it.
- Insert the SIM from your previous iPad in the SIM tray of your new iPad.
- Close the tray completely and in the same orientation that you removed it (it will fit only one way).
- Turn on both devices.
It might take a few minutes for the activation to complete. If you need help transferring a plan, or if you use a corporate or post-paid account, you might need to contact your service provider.*
If your plan uses an eSIM or embedded Apple SIM, follow these steps:
- On the new iPad, go to Settings > Mobile Data > Set up Mobile Data.
- If you see a Transfer button next to the service provider you want, tap it. Then follow the directions to transfer service. You might need to wait a few minutes for the activation to complete.
If you don’t see a Transfer button, or if you can't transfer a plan, you might need to contact your service provider.*
* Your iPad is subject to your wireless service provider’s policies, which may include restrictions on transferring a data plan. Contact your service provider for more details. If you aren't sure which service provider to call, go to Settings > Service provider on your iPad or remove the SIM card and check the card for the service provider's name or logo.