You can use the Apple Podcasts app on your iPhone and iPad with the latest version of iOS or iPadOS.
Listen to podcast shows on iPhone or iPad
- Open the Apple Podcasts app.
- Choose a podcast episode and tap the play button.
- Tap the player at the bottom of the screen to open the Now Playing screen and access the playback controls.
Use the playback controls
- To fast forward or rewind through an episode, tap the 15-second rewind button or the 30-second fast-forward button.
- To adjust playback speed for a podcast, tap the playback speed button and choose half speed, normal speed, one and a half speed, or double speed.
- To set a sleep timer and stop playing a podcast after a certain amount of time, start listening to a podcast. From Now Playing, swipe up and tap the Sleep Timer button.
- To play to a speaker, tap the playback destination button and choose which device your audio will play to.
Follow or unfollow podcast shows
To learn when new episodes are released, find and follow the shows that you love. You can also purchase Apple Podcasts Subscriptions to listen premium content in the Apple Podcasts app.
Follow a podcast show
- Browse or search for a show in the Apple Podcasts app.
- Tap the show to see its information page.
- Tap the add button . New episodes will automatically be download for free, and you’ll get a notification as they become available.
If you stop listening to a show for a while, Apple Podcasts might pause your follow. The shows and downloaded episodes stay in your library, but new episodes might not be updated. To continue getting new episodes, follow again.
Unfollow a podcast show
- Tap a show to see its information page.
- Tap the more button .
- Choose Unfollow Show.
If you unfollow a podcast show, it doesn’t cancel your paid subscription.
New episodes won’t download to your device, but episodes that are already in your library won’t be deleted.
Play episodes in order or play the newest episode first
- Go to the podcast’s information page.
- Tap the more button , then tap Settings.
- Tap “Oldest to Newest” or “Newest to Oldest”.
Download podcast episodes
- Find an episode in your library, or you can browse or search for an episode.
- Touch and hold on the episode.
- Tap Download Episode.
If you see the downloaded icon , the episode has already been downloaded to your device.
When you aren’t connected to Wi-Fi or cellular, you can listen to podcast episodes that you downloaded. Episodes automatically delete 24 hours after you play them, or you can delete them manually.
Save podcast episodes
- Find the podcast episode that you want to save.
- Tap the more options button .
- Tap Save Episode.
When you save an episode, it is automatically downloaded to your device and will not be deleted after you’ve listened to it. To see the episodes that you marked as saved, tap the Library tab, then tap Saved.
Find podcast episodes in your library
- Tap the Library tab, then tap Shows.
- Tap the Followed tab to see the podcasts that you follow in the Apple Podcasts app and the ones that you manually add through a URL. To also see any shows that you saved or downloaded episodes from, tap the All tab.
- Tap the podcast show that you want to listen to.
- Tap See All or See Full Show to see all episodes from that show.
Turn off automatic downloads for one podcast show
- Find the podcast that you want to turn off automatic downloads for.
- Tap the more button , then tap Settings.
- Turn off Automatic Downloads.
If you turn off automatic downloads in the Apple Podcasts app, it doesn’t turn off for all podcast shows.
Turn off automatic download for all podcasts
- Open the Settings app.
- Scroll down and tap Podcasts.
- Under Automatic Downloads turn off Enable When Following.
If you turn off automatic downloads in the Settings app, it turns off for all podcast shows.
Delete podcast episodes
- Find the show in your library.
- Tap the show to bring up its information page.
- Find the episode that you want to delete and tap the more button .
- Tap Remove Download.
Mark a podcast episode as played
- Go to the Listen Now tab and tap the name of the podcast.
- Under Episodes, find the episode that you want to mark as played.
- Touch and hold on the episode, then tap Mark as Played.
When you mark an episode as played, the episode is removed from your queue.