Use the steps in this article if your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch disconnects during syncing or you experience one of these issues:
- You see a "The connection to the iPhone was reset" message when syncing or backing up your device.
- You see an "iPhone has timed out" when syncing.
- You see iTunes error 2001–2011 while updating or restoring.
- An "unknown error" occurs when syncing.
Learn what to do if iTunes doesn't recognize your device.
Try these steps to check the connection between your device and computer. Before starting each step, make sure your iPhone is on the homescreen. You might need to do only one of these steps to resolve the issue, so test your connection after you try each step.
- Disconnect your device, then reconnect it.
- See if the cable connection at the device or computer has come loose or unplugged.
- Make sure that the device isn't connected to a third-party battery pack or case, a USB-hub, or to your keyboard. Connect your device directly to one of your computer's USB ports.
- Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
- Get the latest version of iTunes.
- Check for software updates.
On your Mac: Update your software.
On your PC: Get updates from Microsoft.
- Learn what to do if your iOS device displays the "Connect to iTunes" screen.
- If you're using an accessory or third-party cable to connect your device, try using an Apple cable instead.
- Disconnect all other USB devices from your computer, except for your keyboard and mouse. Then, reconnect your iOS device. If the issue is resolved, reconnect the other USB devices one at a time. Make sure your iOS device is still recognized by the computer after adding back each device.
If one of these steps resolves the issue, but it comes back later, make sure that you haven't changed how the device is connected. For example, check to see if you plugged the device into a specific accessory, or used a specific cable that reintroduced the issue.
Get more help
- Learn what to do if you see an error when you update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod.
- If you continue to see an error when connecting your device, contact Apple Support.