If you used Apple’s Device Enrollment programs, including the Device Enrollment Program or Volume Purchase Program (VPP), upgrade your organization to Apple Business Manager or Apple School Manager. Apple Business Manager and Apple School Manager let you buy content, configure automatic device enrollment in your mobile device management (MDM) solution, and create accounts for students, instructors, and staff.
Upgrade to Apple School Manager
Upgrade to Apple Business Manager
If your business organization used the Device Enrollment Program, you can upgrade to Apple Business Manager.
To upgrade to Apple Business Manager,* sign in to business.apple.com using your Apple Deployment Programs Agent account, then follow the instructions.
If your organization only used the VPP, you can enroll in Apple Business Manager and then invite existing VPP Purchasers to your new Apple Business Manager account. You need to provide information about your business including your D-U-N-S number, and an email address that hasn't been used as an Apple ID for any Apple service or website.
After you upgrade
After you upgrade, Apple Business Manager or Apple School Manager will have all of your:
- Account credentials
- MDM servers
- MDM devices
- Server tokens
- Device orders
- Other items associated with your account
Inviting VPP purchasers
Your organization might have one or more separate VPP accounts. After you enroll in, or upgrade to, Apple Business Manager or Apple School Manager, you can invite VPP purchasers to your new account. Learn how to invite VPP purchasers to Apple School Manager and Apple Business Manager.
You can invite any of the following accounts to Apple School Manager or Apple Business Manager:
- Program Facilitators: These accounts were created before February 2014.
- Agent accounts: These accounts were used to enroll in VPP for Education or Business at the Apple Deployment Programs website in February 2014 or later.
- Admin accounts: These accounts were created at the Apple Deployment Programs website, but they were used only for VPP for Education or Business.
You can only invite accounts that meet all of the following requirements:
- Purchaser is of the same enrollment type (Education or Business)
- Purchaser uses the same D-U-N-S numbers (Business only)
- Purchaser is from the same country or region
- Purchaser has access to VPP for Education or Business and is not already a Managed Apple ID
- Purchaser has never had access to the Device Enrollment Program
Changes to roles
Apple Business Manager and Apple School Manager introduce some changes to the roles that you assign to your users.
With Apple Deployment Programs, Agent was the highest level of administrative access. In Apple Business Manager and Apple School Manager, this role is now called Administrator. Your organization can have up to five Administrators.
Other Apple Deployment roles will be invited as Managers. The Administrator or People Manager can add, remove, or change roles after you upgrade. All of these roles, including Administrators, are Managed Apple IDs.
Managed Apple IDs for all roles
When your previous Agent and Admins sign in to Apple Business Manager or Apple School Manager for the first time, their Apple IDs are converted into Managed Apple IDs. If their accounts weren’t previously set up with two-factor authentication, they will set it up at that time.
- Migrate to Apps and Books in Apple School Manager and in Apple Business Manager
- Apple School Manager User Guide
- Apple Business Manager User Guide
- Education Support (PSP)
- Apple Business Manager Support (PSP)
* To upgrade to Apple School Manager or Apple Business Manager, you need a Mac with Safari version 14.1 or later, Chrome version 87 or later, or Microsoft Edge version 87 or later; an iPad with iPadOS 14.1 or later with Safari or Chrome version 87 or later; or a PC with Chrome version 87 or later or Microsoft Edge version 87 or later.