Apps and features that use Markup
Here are some apps that you can use with Markup and steps to get started:
- Open Mail and tap the compose button to start a new email. Or reply to an existing email.
- Tap inside the body of your email, then tap the gray arrow icon or tap Return to open the format bar. You can also tap inside your email, then tap the cursor and select Insert Photo or Video or Add Attachment. You might need to tap the arrow icon to scroll through the options.
- Tap the Camera button or the Document button , then look for the photo or PDF that you want to attach and mark up.
- Tap the attachment, then tap the gray arrow icon . Tap the Markup button to add your markup. Tap the plus button to add a signature, text, and more.
- Tap Done, then send your email.
- Open Messages and tap the compose button to start a new conversation. Or go to an existing conversation.
- Tap the Photos button and select a photo.
- Tap the photo in the message, then tap Markup. From here, you can add a sketch to the photo, or tap the plus button for other Markup options.
- Tap Save, then tap Done.
- Tap the Send button .
- Go to Photos and select the photo you want.
- Tap Edit, then tap the Markup button . Tap the Add button to add text, shapes, and more.
- Tap Done, then tap Done again.
Draw with Markup
After you choose a Markup tool — like the pen, highlighter, or pencil — select a color and start drawing. Tap the same tool again to change the color opacity, or tap another tool to change the thickness. You can also tap the Color button to change color shades.
Move a drawing
After you draw something, you can move it around. Tap the Lasso button , trace a circle around the drawing that you want to move, then drag it where you want it.
Erase or undo a drawing
To redo a drawing, tap the eraser button and rub your finger across the area you want to erase. You can also undo any markup action by using the Undo button . If you accidentally undo a markup, you can shake your device and tap Redo.
Add text, a signature, magnifier, and shapes
Tap the Add button to choose from other Markup tools:
Tap the circle to choose a different text color, then tap the formatting button to adjust the font, size, and alignment.
Quickly add or create a signature for a document.
Drag the loupe around, use the blue dot to adjust the size, and the green dot to increase or decrease the magnification level.
Tap a shape to add it to your screenshot, photo, or PDF. Drag the shape to where you want it and use the blue dots to adjust the size and shape. Use the green dots to adjust the arrow's curve and the speech bubble's appearance.
Do more with Markup
- Learn how to use Markup with Apple Pencil and iPad.
- Save and edit PDFs with the Books app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.