Update your Apple TV automatically
You can set your Apple TV to automatically install new updates when they're available. Go to Settings > System > Software Updates and turn on Automatically Update.
Update your Apple TV manually
- Go to Settings > System > Software Updates and select Update Software.
- If there's an update, select Download and Install.
- Wait for your Apple TV to download the update. Keep your Apple TV connected and plugged in to power until the update is complete.
After the update downloads, your Apple TV will restart, prepare the update, then install it. When the update is complete, your Apple TV will automatically restart again.
- If you can’t update your Apple TV, make sure that you’re connected to a Wi-Fi or Ethernet network.
- If the progress bar for the update appears stuck or paused, don’t unplug your Apple TV. Allow more time for the update to complete. If you've been waiting for more than an hour, contact Apple Support before you restart or unplug your Apple TV.
- If there is an issue during the update, you might see a message that asks you to Reset All Settings or Restart. Try the Restart option first. If you see the same message again, select Reset All Settings.
- If your Apple TV doesn't turn on after the update is complete, learn what to do.
- For other issues, contact Apple Support.