macOS User Guide
- Connect to the internet
- Browse the web
- Adjust the volume
- Take a screenshot or screen recording
- View and edit files with Quick Look
- Jot a Quick Note
- Set up Screen Time for yourself
- Set up a Focus to stay on task
- Edit photos and videos in Photos
- Use Visual Look Up for your photos
- Get directions in Maps
- Create a recording in Voice Memos
- Use trackpad and mouse gestures
- Use the Touch Bar
- Use Touch ID
- Use keyboard shortcuts
- Get macOS updates
- What is Family Sharing?
- Set up Family Sharing
- Set up other users on your Mac
- Set up Screen Time for a child
- Share purchases with your family
- Make a FaceTime call
- Send text messages
- Share a calendar with your family
- Find what people shared with you
- Find your family and friends
- Play games with your friends
- Use Continuity to work across Apple devices
- Stream audio and video with AirPlay
- Use your iPad as a second display
- Hand off tasks between devices
- Insert photos and documents from iPhone or iPad
- Insert sketches from iPhone or iPad
- Copy and paste between devices
- Use Apple Watch to unlock your Mac
- Make and receive phone calls on your Mac
- Send files between devices with AirDrop
- Sync music, books, and more between devices
- Manage cookies and other website data in Safari
- Use Private Browsing in Safari
- View privacy reports in Safari
- Understand passwords
- Reset your Mac login password
- Create and autofill strong passwords
- Keep your Apple ID secure
- Set up your Mac to be secure
- Use Mail Privacy Protection
- Guard your privacy
- Pay with Apple Pay in Safari
- Use Sign in with Apple for apps and websites
- Protect your Mac from malware
- Control access to the camera
- Find a missing device
- Change your display’s brightness
- Connect a wireless keyboard, mouse, or trackpad
- Connect other wireless devices
- Connect a display, TV, or projector
- Add a printer
- Use the built-in camera
- Use AirPods with your Mac
- Save energy on your Mac
- Optimize storage space
- Burn CDs and DVDs
- Control accessories in your home
- Run Windows on your Mac
- Resources for your Mac
- Resources for your Apple devices
Change the login password on Mac
It’s important to change your login password from time to time to protect your privacy.
Note: Your login password is the password you enter to unlock your Mac when you turn it on or wake it from sleep. It is not your Apple ID password, which provides access to the iTunes Store, App Store, Apple Books, iCloud, and other Apple services.
On your Mac, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Users & Groups .
If you’ve forgotten your login password and can’t open your Mac, see Reset your Mac login password.
Click Change Password.
Enter your current password in the Old Password field.
Enter your new password in the New Password field, then enter it again in the Verify field.
For help choosing a secure password, click the Key button next to the New Password field.
Enter a hint to help you remember the password.
The hint appears if you enter the wrong password three consecutive times, or if you click the question mark in the password field in the login window.
Click Change Password.