To add your license or ID to Apple Wallet, you need:
- An iPhone 8 or later, or an Apple Watch Series 4 or later, with the latest version of iOS or watchOS.
- Face ID or Touch ID turned on.
- An Apple ID with two-factor authentication turned on.
- A license or ID from a participating state. Learn which states participate
- Your device region set to United States.
IDs in Apple Wallet take advantage of the privacy and security features already built into iPhone and Apple Watch to help protect against tampering and theft. Your driver's license or state ID data is encrypted. Neither the state issuing authority nor Apple can see when and where you use your license or ID, and biometric authentication using Face ID and Touch ID helps make sure that only you can view and use your license or ID.
Add your driver's license or state ID card to your iPhone and Apple Watch
You can add only one license or ID to one iPhone and one paired Apple Watch at a time. Only one license or ID can be associated with any Apple ID at a time.
The state issuing authority, not Apple, makes the decision to approve or deny your request to add your license or ID to Apple Wallet.
How to add your driver's license or state ID to your iPhone and Apple Watch
- On your iPhone, open the Wallet app.
- Tap the Add button .
- Tap Driver's License or State ID and choose your state.
- Choose whether you want to add your license or ID to your iPhone only or to both your iPhone and paired Apple Watch.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to scan the front and back of your license or ID.
Next, you need to confirm that you're you.
If you want to add your license or ID to your Apple Watch later: On your iPhone, open the Apple Watch app and tap the My Watch tab. Then scroll down, tap Wallet & Apple Pay, and find your license or ID listed under Other Cards on Your Phone. Tap the Add button next to it and follow the onscreen instructions.
How to confirm that you are really you
To prove that you're really you, you're prompted to complete a series of head or facial movements. For example, you might be asked to smile or turn your head to the right. After the movements, you take a selfie.
To help this process:
- Stand in front of a plain background, like a wall with neutral paint.
- Make sure that you're in a well-lit area with even lighting. Indoors works best.
- Take off any sunglasses, masks, hats, or other accessories.
- Hold your iPhone as steady as possible.
- Hold each movement until your iPhone vibrates.
- If you can't complete a movement, just tap Try a Different Movement.
When you're ready to send your information to your state issuing authority, authenticate with Face ID or Touch ID.
This authentication associates your license or ID with your face or fingerprint to help make sure that only you can use your license or ID.
If you use an accessibility feature, instead of having Face ID or Touch ID turned on, you can use your passcode to set up and then use your license or ID. Accessibility features include Voice Control, Switch Control, or AssistiveTouch.
In some cases, your state issuing authority might require additional information. If you receive a notification, tap it to go to their website. Follow the onscreen instructions to provide the additional information.
If you can't add your driver's license or state ID
- If there's a problem adding your driver's license or service is temporarily unavailable, try again later or contact your state issuing authority. Learn how to check if you're experiencing an Apple service outage.
- If your driver's license can't be added, contact your state issuing authority.
- If your driver's license can't be added because it's already associated with a different Apple ID or added on another iPhone, you need to remove your license or ID from the other Apple ID or iPhone. You also need to remove your license or ID from your paired Apple Watch before you can add it to a new iPhone.
Learn how to remove your license or ID from Apple Wallet.
How to view the information from your driver's license or state ID
- On your iPhone, open the Wallet app.
- Tap your license or ID to see where you have used your license or ID. This information is stored only on the device you used to present. To delete a presentation from your latest activity, tap it, then scroll down and tap Remove Activity.
- To see more information, tap the Info button .
- Tap Driver's License Info or State ID Info.
- Authenticate with the Face ID or Touch ID that you used to add your license or ID.
In addition to your license or ID information:
- You can find the state issuing authority's phone number and website.
- If you use Touch ID and have multiple fingerprints enrolled, you see the option to Replace Fingerprint and change which fingerprint you use to present your license or ID.
To protect your privacy, screenshots of this information screen can't be taken.